Help: trying to build a small ish ff server

Ins0mnyteq

[H]ard|Gawd
So I have to build a high performance server that is as small as possible built off of AMD cpu. I work mostly with dental office so we enjoy the ability to user very low end cookie cutter stuff that is more than they will ever need. This client has a hard on for performance and names so he wants a beast.
But caviat can't be bigger than atx.
Something's it has to have
AMD, ability for 2 procs or one of the beefiest single cpus needs to be able to run 50+ remote desktop clients.
Large ram capacity
Will need to boot off an pcie m.2 if posible and i need to be able to add stata based storage along with pcie 4
Dual psu if possible

Any help is appreciated I generally.would research myself but I'm in a huge crunch on time.

Thanks in advance

Dual socket takes up a lot of room, but you can probably find a single socket Epyc board in ATX. Max Epyc is 64-cores, which is probably plenty, depending on the desktop software. Take a look at supermicro, they've got boards and whole systems.

Maybe pick one of dell, hp, lenovo and see what they've got for systems with low lead time.

Can it be deeper than ATX? We run supermicro chassis \ mobos and have had good luck. The pedestal units are typically only ~19" tall so they can be mounted on rails and put in a rack if needed. They are very long though.

We have a few customers running 50+ user RDS servers on dual E5-2630 V4 setups and the CPUs rarely come out of idle lol. RAM seems to be the more in demand resource. On server 2008 and 2012 most users never went above 1-2gb of RAM. On Server 2019 users seem to be using 2 to 4 times that.

no doesn't have to be, needs to be on amd platform because that's what he wants no other reason. but im seeing that most eypc can handle 50 clients very easily.
probably just find a supermicro board and cpu combo and build from there

any reccomendations?

can i use a Threadripper setup with server 2019? does anyone know if there are driver issues with those boards? i am a newb to amd stuff not sure how it all rolls out between desktop os and server os, as some old intel had issues with

You should be able to, but TR doesn't support RDIMMs which may be a problem for heavy usage - the max it supports is 256GB and that's with pricey 32GB UDIMMs.

So I have to build a high performance server that is as small as possible built off of AMD cpu. I work mostly with dental office so we enjoy the ability to user very low end cookie cutter stuff that is more than they will ever need. This client has a hard on for performance and names so he wants a beast.
But caviat can't be bigger than atx.
Something's it has to have
AMD, ability for 2 procs or one of the beefiest single cpus needs to be able to run 50+ remote desktop clients.
Large ram capacity
Will need to boot off an pcie m.2 if posible and i need to be able to add stata based storage along with pcie 4
Dual psu if possible

Any help is appreciated I generally.would research myself but I'm in a huge crunch on time.

Thanks in advance
Why does he need 50 odd remote desktop clients?

Why does it need to be small?

What are these clients going to be used for ?

Need to have more information about use case to recommend something

What are you doing with this server that it has to be the highest end hardware and still small? Vmware? Storage, CIFS? I mean, it seems we care more about buzzwords then what the server is supposed to do.

Back