Help this newbie!

manny1222

Gawd
Hi guys,
I am a registered nurse looking to work in nursing informatics. I'd like to get some programming under my belt to shure up my resume as I've never done done anything programming related. I have two questions.

1. When it comes to informatics (nursing, medical or otherwise) what programming languages should i be looking into (at least initially)? My assumption is SQL and maybe Java (just from my little research).

2. Where would be a good place to get this training online with my arm and leg intact? I was checking out my wife's groupon and there was one for training from "Database Training Academy". Is this a reputable site to get programming training? Or should i sign up for Lynda.com?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

SQL would be important. Any recent-ish, well rated, book on amazon would do well.
Informatics I think would lean towards python and R.. but sure.. Java would be okay. scanning some of the job postings they seem to lean towards specific industry apps.

SQL and .NET, imho.

As for learning, you can get SQL Express and Visual Studio Community for free, and just go at it!

Thanks guys!
I was initially looking at my local community college but their classes didn't jive with ny schedule. I will have a hard time doing it nyself with a book. I need outside motivation .

The world pretty much runs on some combination of SQL, PHP, Perl, and/or .NET (at least until you get into developing desktop apps/programs, then it's almost always some version of C)

Java is mostly used as a teaching language here in the West, but it's pretty popular for development in India, for some embedded type applications, Android apps, and some other areas.

Honestly though, once you learn one programming language, the concepts don't change (much), just the syntax.

I'm a pretty big fan of w3schools for just basic self-learning. Between that and specific documentation (mysql site, php.net, etc) I was able to self-learn enough to get dangerous without taking specific paid courses.

SQL since the medical field is just one huge database input.

Medical field still uses the MUMPS language, several people I graduated with in 2006 had to learn it. Probably not the most useful to learn for general use, but for the medical field would be a nice feather in your cap.

Not personally familiar with it, other than that it exists. I first heard about it on TheDailyWTF, and then found people I'd graduated with ended up having to learn it. It's apparently got very unusual syntax, and was designed for the medical field, and as usually happens, once you have a strange tech that has a foothold in a mission-critical application, that tech never dies. Wikipedia has more info than I could ever hope to share.

sounds like dealing with patient information ... some knowledge about security, encryption/decryption and related data privacy laws might be a good idea too.
don't leak patient data to the public... would not be nice.

So... where can I learn to become a nurse with an online training course? In other words this is probably not as simple a thing as you might think. You may learn how to use applications regarding the field but to learn to effectively program with no prior programming experience, that is going to be a very large undertaking.

Back