HELP: System constantly looses video or does VPU recover.

SparkedFire

[H]ard|Gawd
I just upgraded my system and ever since I always have to reboot or my VPU recovers because the graphics lock up (mostly during gameplay in any game. My system specs are in my sig and I upgraded from a Gigabyte mobo and Intel P4. Does anyone have an idea what the problem may be. It seems to be getting more common on my system.

when you upgraded, did you reinstall the OS fresh, or just drop the HDD in the new rig? If you replaced the motherboard, did you update the mobo drivers? which drivers are you using for the vid? are you overclocking?

Thanks for replying.

I did not reinstall the OS, just poped the hard drive in. I updated the mobo drivers and am running the latest 4.6 catalyst drivers. I am not overclocking now but I will be. I was wondering if there is a conflict between the nVidia chipset and ATi graphics :rolleyes:.

ok, well i might try a clean install. the graphics card is not overheating as overdrive shows 41'C. still looking for others opinions.

Go into the GART options for the video card and turn off fast writes. See if this helps, if not try lowering the AGP rate to 4X and see if that helps. Seems like a while back on another forum some peopel were having problems with their 9600XT and the fast write option.

Thanks Major. I tried changing fast rights and that did nothing. I lowered the AGP to 4x and solved it. Why wouldn't it like an 8x AGP bus?

Honestly I don't know but the difference between 8X and 4X is so small that you won't be able to notice a difference.

Back