help: switching from discrete to integrated gpu

dragnandy

Limp Gawd
So i have a fairly old laptop, Fujitsu AH550, and an NVIDIA 310M graphics card. Either because of a bad heatsink or the gpu chip itself is damaged, the gpu overheats very easily on the smallest graphics intestive tasks (I used GPU-Z to monitor the temps)

I want to try and just use my integrated graphics card on my i5 M430. I tried digging through the NVIDIA control panel and BIOS setup, found nothing. Any help here?

i was originally going to do that, but I've had bad experiences disassembling laptops, and to get to the motherboard i'd have to disassemble the entire thing..

Another reason why i'd be fine with integrated is that this laptop is already on its last legs, i'm not going to run anything serious, just web browsing, and some video watching here and there. No games on this machine anymore

What I did for my laptop was boot into safe mode, uninstall the discrete driver, then from the Device Manager, disable the discreet card. You may have to play with the order of the steps but so far it works for me. The only issue is I can't get the screen to display anything other than black when i resume from sleep.

What I did for my laptop was boot into safe mode, uninstall the discrete driver, then from the Device Manager, disable the discreet card. You may have to play with the order of the steps but so far it works for me. The only issue is I can't get the screen to display anything other than black when i resume from sleep.

Everything sounded nice and dandy til the last part. LOL. I thought switching gpu's would be as simple and changing an option in the BIOS or something..

Guys, thanks for the replies and for trying to help, but I am honestly trying to avoid disassembling my laptop as this is my only laptop. Maybe once I upgrade and buy a new laptop, I'll crack it open. But until then, this ones staying shut.

Everything sounded nice and dandy til the last part. LOL. I thought switching gpu's would be as simple and changing an option in the BIOS or something..

Guys, thanks for the replies and for trying to help, but I am honestly trying to avoid disassembling my laptop as this is my only laptop. Maybe once I upgrade and buy a new laptop, I'll crack it open. But until then, this ones staying shut.

You should try it out at least, maybe you won't get the issue that I have :p
I hardly use my laptop, and it's got one of my spare SSD's in it so i can mitigate the need to sleep the laptop in favor of just shutting down

Back