Help/suggestions needed for covering river behind parents house

lagsmoke

Limp Gawd
My parents are wanting to get their wifi signal down on to the river behind their house (Guadalupe near New Braunfels, TX). The river is roughly 200 feet back and 50 ft down from the house, with relatively clear line of sight from the deck where the AP/Extender would need to be located. I'm not a networking expert by any means but I am the family "computer guy" as I suspect most on these forums are!

I thought a directional LR AP would be the best bet, but I can't seem to find any good recommendations. I have been looking at Ubiquiti and Engenius LR products but they mostly seem to be omnidirectional. Most of their directional products seem to be built for point to point which I don't think would be necessary? Trying to keep the budget under $250 if possible.... anyone here have some suggestions or directions I could look?

Assuming there's power down at the dock, you could use something like the Ubiquiti IsoStation AC to create a direct wireless link between there and the house. Connect the dock-side unit to some sort of AP, such as a Unifi AP AC Lite, to provide service for whatever devices down there need network access.

Assuming there's power down at the dock, you could use something like the Ubiquiti IsoStation AC to create a direct wireless link between there and the house. Connect the dock-side unit to some sort of AP, such as a Unifi AP AC Lite, to provide service for whatever devices down there need network access.
No power down at the river area, the AP would need to be on the deck behind the house.

Something along the lines of this coupled with a good G band AP: https://www.amazon.com/TRENDnet-Directional-Compatible-Wireless-TEW-AO14D/dp/B000GHK6MY . Someone may have a better brand/model suggestion. Be sure to check that the AP will accept whatever connector the antenna has. Sadly, they don't always match.

Downside to G is limited speed. Upside is 2.4G travels farther. At that distance, don't expect HD streaming. Possible it won't work much at all. Lots of wild magic in long range WiFi.

Day or night use? Plenty of sunshine? Small solar panel, battery and DC-DC converter that outputs what an AP wants might let you power a remote AP. Put an on-off switch on the remote so the battery is fully charged when they use the river bank area. Assumes the area is fairly secure and thief free.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back