Here is my setup:

Supermicro x8si6-f-o
Xenon 3440
8gb Kingston ECC
Norco 4020
Corsair 850AX
5 x 2tb Samsung F4s
128gb kingston SSD

ESXi with open indiana (raidz 5x2gb) and WHS. This is setup as an all-in-one.

This has been running great for years. Now my system no longer detects my SSD. What do I do so I don't lose all my information on the array.

Thanks!!!!

Last edited:
I presume the ssd has esxi installed with OI as a guest with the 5 2tb drives passed through? If so, the ssd dying means nothing. Just reinstall esxi+oi and in the new oi, tell it to import the pool.

That's why I just switched to ESXi. REcovery is a breeze if you have backups of your VMs

That's why I just switched to ESXi. REcovery is a breeze if you have backups of your VMs

Problem is that a lot of people don't backup their VMs since it actually is a bit of a pain to set up. I tend to opt for backing up the filesystem of my OS (zfs replication to my main storage) instead of backing up the VM itself.

True. For an AIO, the storage VM rarely changes much, so I tend to just configure it, remove the pass through controller, export an OVA of the storage VM, re-add the pass through device and done...

ok. Having trouble. When I import I get an error message saying that it can't share storage/nfs or something like that (I thought I had copied and was going to paste here but obviously it didn't copy and now it's gone)

If I check in windows I see the nfs folder but it is empty.

I'm lost. :( Help!

Dang it... forgot to redo root password after installing nappit.

Now it seems to be working fine. anything else I'm missing or have wrong?

Back