Help speccing PC for video editing and live streaming

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by jamsomito, Mar 20, 2017.

1. jamsomito

jamsomito 2[H]4U

I've been asked to put together some options for my church that does 3 services live streamed, recorded, and edited every weekend (plus a few other odds and ends). They plan to use Adobe Premier, and a live streaming service (can't remember the name of the program off the top of my head). They record and stream in 1080p, 480, and possibly one lower resolution for people with bad connections.

They would prefer a mac, but the board has asked them to price up a similar PC to see if it will save money. I already mentioned that parts will not be a "package" deal this way (i.e. parts will be individually warranted and it will have to be more closely managed). So, we have to meet or exceed performance of their proposed top-of-the-line iMac: 27" 5k display (not sure if we need to include this or not, they already have a 27" 1440p apple monitor), quad core intel i7 processor, 32GB 1867mhz DDR3 RAM, 2TB fusion drive, and Radeon R9 M395X (4GB). The mac price is $3500, but our goal here is to beat that price.

I also already told them that the experience between Final Cut Pro and Adobe Premier will be different, and they understand that. A little extra rendering time is fine for them as long as streaming doesn't drop frames at the resolutions above and price is better than the mac.

So, my questions - what would be a good build for under $3500 (pref around $2000) that's good at video editing and streaming? I'm thinking i7-E series, 32GB DDR4 (if possible), m.2 OS and programs drive (128-256GB), 4TB storage and working drive, and whatever graphics card will be best for Adobe (nVidia / AMD?). Thoughts?

2. pendragon1

pendragon1 [H]ardness Supreme

a ryzen + a 1080(or 1080ti or titan) based system looks like a really good bang for buck option. should be around the $2k mark.

3. jamsomito

jamsomito 2[H]4U

Ok, so how much does the GPU actually help, because that's a huge expense for a 1080 or better. Is it worth it strictly for video editing / rendering / live streaming?

What kind of motherboard should I be looking at? Brands? Warranty?

A Ryzen 1800x is $500, but a 6850k is $550 - same ballpark IMO. How do they compare? Would one have better support than the other? Is there something intrinsic to these CPU's that would lend to better performance with one of these programs specifically (cache, IPC, etc)?

Seems to me like the CPU is the biggest contributor to performance in a video- (and streaming)-centric PC. Should I be considering a Xeon? Dual CPU?

Halp!

EDIT: the streaming program they use is Wirecast.

4. whateverer

whateverer AMD Owns Techreport

1. You don't need to spend $500 on the 1800x. Most places are reporting performance of the 1700 is within a few percent, so that's 7700k territory, so that saves you $150. That 1700 has more cores than Broadwell-E as well.

2. GPU-accelerated encode for real-time streaming works fine, gives good quality, but gives you a much LARGER STREAM than doing it with software encode. This matters when you have restricted streaming bandwidth. Ryzen has more than enough cores to make software encode happen, 3 simultaneous 1080p streams should be doable.

3. I can't comment on Premiere and the level of GPU you should grab, but it probably should be at-least a 1070. That's TWICE the power of the Apple GPU you're picking-up.

So ROUGHLY
    $350 for GTX 1070
    $330 for Ryzen 1700 CPU,
    $230 for 32GB 2100 DDR4 ram,
    $100 for B350 Motherboard.
    $100 for OS
    $150 for case + PSU
    $250 for a Samsung 960 Evo 512GB (no compromise)
    $165 for 4TB HGST 7200RPM hard drive

About 1675 for twice the performance Apple is offering, minus that pretty display.

Now isn't it worth taking-off the MacOS training wheels?

And there was poor availability on release week, but right now you can buy the that 1700 and several B350 motherboards from Newegg today.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2017
    pendragon1 likes this.
  5. pendragon1

pendragon1 [H]ardness Supreme

you beat me to responding...
    what he said!

6. Skillz

Skillz [H]ard DCOTM Jan 16 March 17

You don't need a 1080, 1080 Ti or a 1070 for editing/rendering purposes. Something like a 1050 Ti would be more than plenty and you'll never notice the difference. Most tasks wont utilize the GPU anyway.