Help setting up triple monitor

virtualleader

Limp Gawd
Okay it's been a long time since I messed with multiple monitors but recently I just bought two DELL 2209WA monitors to flank my DELL U2711 in portrait.

SPECS ARE in my SIG - running a 7950

I cant get all three running at the same time?! Image of my error below.

I can get any combination of two running at the same time but not all three. I have tried HDMI to DVI adapters MINI-DP to DVI...

I have tried creating an eyefiniti profile but it wont let me until I enable all three monitors.

HELP A FRUSTRATED GEEK.

Untitled.jpg

I tried to use DVI + HDMI + mini DP but I got the same problem so I did HDMI + 2x Mini DP

Hdmi = hdmi monitor
Mini DP1 = dvi monitor with mini dp to dvi adaptor
Mini DP2 = hdmi monitor with mini dp to hdmi adaptor

I had the same problem, until I used an active mini dp to dvi.
as long as one of the mini dp adapters is active the other 2 don't matter what they are.

my monitors are all hdmi, so i use:
active mini dp > dvi > hdmi
hdmi > hdmi
dvi > hdmi

and it works great!

I have tried
1x DVI
2x Mini-Dp to DVI

and

1xDVI
1xHDMI top DVI
1xMiniDP to DVI

No love.

My problem is my U2711 runs native at 2560x1440 so I have to run it on my Dual link DVI port.

I dont think I HAVE to have an active adapter to make this work, do I? I am pretty sure most people DONT have an active adapter for only triple monitor.

Thoughts?

Well I think my adaptor from mini dp to dvi is active... it came with the graphic card, my mini dp to hdmi is a simple one that I got from Ebay.

I think the DELL U2711 monitor has a displayport connection on it. So your best bet would be to get a mini DP to DP cable for that monitor.

This is how I would set it up.

DELL U2711 = MiniDP to DP cable
DELL 2209WA #1 = Straight DVi to DVI
DELL 2209WA #2 = HDMI to DVI

Well I think my adaptor from mini dp to dvi is active... it came with the graphic card, my mini dp to hdmi is a simple one that I got from Ebay.

Well, double check if that adapter is MiniDP to Dual-Link DVI and NOT MiniDP to SingleLink DVI (latter would not output to the full resolution of 2560x1440)

Pretty sure you need an active adapter for the dp>DVI

Nailed it. No current AMD card will let you use more than 2 legacy connections at the same time. Legacy is defined as HDMI, DVI, or a MiniDP/DP when using a PASSIVE adapter. If it's passive, even though you're using a miniDP port, the video card thinks it's whatever is on the other side of the adapter (so DVI or HDMI, usually). If it's an active adapter, the video only sees that it has a miniDP plugged in, so it counts as a non-legacy connection.

An active adapter should not be needed at all, the DELL U2711 monitor should have displayport right on it. I would dump the MiniDP to DVI train of thought and go straight MiniDP to DP for the U2711.

OKay but am I the only one that thinks this is retarted??? Why design a card with a bunch of ports that cant be used unless you buy really expensive adapters? Why not just design it to work?
I mean EYEFINITY is all over the box...

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
OKay but am I the only one that thinks this is retarted??? Why design a card with a bunch of ports that cant be used unless you buy really expensive adapters? Why not just design it to work?
I mean EYEFINITY is all over the box...

It does work, with dp monitors.

The adpaters are only 30 bucks
http://www.amazon.com/Accell-B087B-006B-DisplayPort-Single-Link-Certified/dp/B004071ZXA

I imagine having 3 DVI ports on a single card make it nearly impossible to vent out enough heat+ have space to support more monitors on minidp.

What they chose to do keeps the " I dont want to switch crowd " at bay, while encouraging major monitor producers to move in the direction of displayport.

Monitor manufacturers are moving to DP by themselves, as DP is royalty free unlike every single other graphics port....DP also has gobs of bandwidth.

Also you need to use a DP adapter that works. Not all do...BRB I need to check on Eyefinity setup on that card....

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back