help setting up 11400f on gigabyte b560

ecologist

n00b
hi all,

trying to get the most of this locked 11400f and set it up properly. I've already enabled xmp to 3200nhz and set power limits to unlimited using intel xtu.

1. is it possible to lock all cores to 4.4ghz on the b560 or z590 platform (i.e. use MCE on the locked 11400f)?
the b560 will not allow manually setting core ratios beyond their locked numbers (42x all core, 43x 2 cores, 44x single core), but it will allow setting their turbo ratio to 44x, however this appears to have no effect.

2. if 1 is possible, can this also be coupled with a BCLK of 102.9mhz to give 44x102.9= 4.5 ghz?

3. MCE is not available on gigabyte b560, is it available on asus, msi or asrock? (I have seen it available on asus tuf b560 but does it work?)

4. option to set BCLK is not available on gigabyte b560, is it available on asus, msi or asrock?

5. the aurous pro comes with a bclk of 99.75mhz, is there a way to set it to 100mhz?

6. does b560 support memory overclocking beyond 3200mhz with a 11400f

is there anything else I should set up/change in BIOS for this cpu?

1. Not possible. You need a K CPU and a Z series board to do this.

2. Bclk overclock is probably possible, depending on your board. I have read about some B460 boards that have it.

3. Better to check the motherboard manual for the board you are considering. Hard to blanket tell you that [brand]'s boards will/not

4 and 5. If you can't set the Bclk on your board, probably not. You're splitting hairs over .25 bclk though. If you wanted max clock speed, you should sell this and get a Z series board and a 11600K :)

6. Not sure, but you can test this though. Try to set it to 3266. If it boots and you can verify this with CPU-Z or something, then it works.

7. ERP/S4/S5 power modes to save a little power I guess. Fan curves if you need/want it.

are you sure on this? can you point to articles? I've found threads with users able to do this to non-k cpus (https://www.reddit.com/r/overclocki...ick_guide_to_overclock_nonk_gen_10_intel_cpu/). I am trying to figure out if a z590 board is needed to acheive 4.4ghz all core or if its possible at all.

on or off?
1. Probs my bad. If your board has MCE, you probably dont need an unlocked CPU. Not sure which boards have MCE though.

2. I have it set to s4+s5 or something similar.

You can overclock the memory with locked 10th gen and 11th gen CPUs on B560, H570, and Z590 motherboards.

Personally, I would set the power limits and turbo limits in the bios. Then you don't have to run XTU.

thank you mda and chameleoneel for the replies.
1. Probs my bad. If your board has MCE, you probably dont need an unlocked CPU. Not sure which boards have MCE though.
hardware unboxed says the non-k 8400 can't MCE or bclk overclock. do you think this is true for all locked cpus?

Personally, I would set the power limits and turbo limits in the bios. Then you don't have to run XTU.
like this:
PL1 and PL2 to 4095W
core current limit 255A
package power time limit 128s

hardware unboxed says the non-k 8400 can't MCE or bclk overclock. do you think this is true for all locked cpus?

Yes. If it wasn't, everyone would just buy the locked 11700, and make it run 4.9 all-core.

edit: You should be able to increase the BCLK slightly, but there's not much point to that. I've heard they won't boot at anything over 102.x

You can overclock the memory with locked 10th gen and 11th gen CPUs on B560, H570, and Z590 motherboards.

That's what I'd do. Just juice the power limits & use a decent CPU cooler. I wouldn't turn power limits off though. A lot of boards have them off by default, but I prefer to figure out what my cooling can handle and set the limit so the proc doesn't roast and thermal throttle. You really can't squeeze much more out of locked Intel procs beyond what you can get by giving them power and cooling.

I haven't paid all that much attention to the 500 series boards, but with the previous 400 series there were "Z" boards with crap VRMs that could only do like 130W long term and 180W in a burst and "B" boards that could do 200+W all day. I'd guess the situation is similar with the 500 series. Of course the best boards have Z chipsets, but Z alone does not guarantee decent VRMs. With an i5-11400F any decent board (aka one with VRMs that don't suck) & cooler will do 4.2GHz all core turbo all day, but that's about all you're going to get. I'm not sure what board you've got other than it's a Gigabyte and it sounds like it's some sort of Aorus. Aorus is Gigabyte's high end line AFAIK, so good chance it's got decent VRMs if that's what you've got, but I'm still not going to even venture a guess without a model number.

Not all x60 boards will allow for an unlimited power boost. Some will cap it around 150 watts which is plenty for that CPU.

FWIW, I adjusted the power limits and enabled MCE on my 10700 and raised the bclk to 102 and it ran fine with an all-core turbo of around 4600 MHz

Back