Help Selecting a mini Keyboard/Mouse Trackpad for HTPC

Zarathustra[H]

Extremely [H]
Hey all,

I have been using (or should I say, trying to use) the Bluetooth Rii Mini Keyboard and Trackpad on my HTPC for some time now, with nothing but frustrating results.

I like the concept of it, it's features and size, but it just will not work reliably.

rii-remote-20100305-600.jpg

The thing has miserable battery life, and a lot of the time can't even seem to stay connected to the HTPC via bluetooth. I have tried many different USB bluetooth adapters in addition to the bluetooth integrated on my motherboard, and always the same miserable results. Right now, it won't connect at all, making watching a movie very annoying.

So, anyway, what devices like this do you guys use, that I might replace it with? Ones that work well?

Thanks,
Matt

I've used probably a dozen devices for my htpc... and I always go back to a wireless mouse.
Dinovo Mini was nice but the touchpad wasn't smooth enough... Felt very choppy.
Remotes can't navigate windows.
Keyboards with trackballs are too big (IMO).
Apps on your phone work pretty decent.

Its called a smart phone, you already know how to use it so now you just control your HTPC with it. You probably have a smart phone worth about $500 or more and the sensor / touch pad on it is way more accurate than anything you will find on anything but a high end laptop. Since it operates Wi-Fi you won't have signal range issues, since you charge it every night you wont run out of batteries and since its always in your pocket you will never lose it. And since most people you know have one they can use their own remote.

Unified remote on windows phone or android is killer, you can make it do almost anything. All basic functions are free and for $4 you can step up. I wake on lan the HTPC, control the AVR with harmony link app, and control the HTPC within the unified remote app. It does everything way better than ANY hardware option I have tried so far. I liked it so much I actually purchased the full version for android not even because I needed any feature but just because I wanted to support them. The only 1 problem is I don't think the app works at the windows login, but I assume your HTPC like mine automatically logs into the proper account. Also this app has been really keeping up and adding features / support. They now support the IR emitters on many smart phones like the galaxy note, s4 and htc one I think so you can control your TV from within the remote. This has a lot of future promise because right now most different devices have different apps and that is kind of clumsy.

The only way you beat that is to get a full sized wireless keyboard and mouse and somehow make sure that they are close enough to the receiver to get a good signal. I have been down your road before and spent a bunch of money on various products. The HTPC group just doesn't have anyone that produces decent devices for us. Also only do RF devices blue tooth blows.

Last edited:
I used that keyboard too on my media center and well it sucks...
was going to jump to the dinovio mini but the price kept me away

A question, did you have the Bluetooth version or the 2.4Ghz non-bluetooth version?

I was thinking maybe it was just a shitty bluetooth implementation, and I should try the 2.4Ghz version instead.

Otherwise I can't explain why I have seen so many good reviews for these online, when my experience has been so terrible...

http://www.logitech.com/product/wireless-touch-keyboard-k400r

I now have 3 of these in my house... perfect and not expensive

I DO like the look of that, but it also looks kind of large. The Specs page conveniently leaves out the dimensions. How large would you say they are?

I used that keyboard too on my media center and well it sucks...
was going to jump to the dinovio mini but the price kept me away

http://www.logitech.com/product/wireless-touch-keyboard-k400r

I now have 3 of these in my house... perfect and not expensive

Aside from the Dinovo Mini I also have two K400's in my house as well. Fantastic keyboard and mouse pad combo and not very expensive. The size is not as intrusive as most people would think.

Ahh, Decided to order one of the K400's to see if I like it. (After all, it's cheap enough)

Thank you for all the suggestions!

Zarathustra[H];1040451561 said:
Ahh, Decided to order one of the K400's to see if I like it. (After all, it's cheap enough)

Thank you for all the suggestions!
Wise choice. I went through various other mini keyboards on Amazon before finally setting on the K400. Great little keyboard/trackpad. Very effective and great range. You should be pleased.

I also used a Cideko Conqueror Air Mouse/Keyboard/Gamepad, but just sold it.

Zarathustra[H];1040450638 said:
A question, did you have the Bluetooth version or the 2.4Ghz non-bluetooth version?

I was thinking maybe it was just a shitty bluetooth implementation, and I should try the 2.4Ghz version instead.

Otherwise I can't explain why I have seen so many good reviews for these online, when my experience has been so terrible...

I DO like the look of that, but it also looks kind of large. The Specs page conveniently leaves out the dimensions. How large would you say they are?

I know im coming back late in the game here but i did have the bluetooth version as well.... was terrible... so happy with my k400's and im sure you will be too... if you havent got them already you will see the size isnt all that large

I know im coming back late in the game here but i did have the bluetooth version as well.... was terrible... so happy with my k400's and im sure you will be too... if you havent got them already you will see the size isnt all that large

I did get it. Thank you for the recommendation. It works flawlessly. So pleased to no longer be frustrated with disconnects all the time, and having to power cycle the keyboard every 20 seconds to make it work.

It IS a bit larger than I had hoped, but - as mentioned - not terrible. My coffee table is large enough I guess :p

Logitech recently released the TK820, which is a high end all-in-one for mac/pc. It's $100 but you're getting a $60 trackpad with the keyboard. I've tried it at best buy and it had good build quality and a nice feel to it. I had the K400 and it worked great for the price but this new one is a huge jump in quality. The only downside for HTPC use would be the size. It's bigger then the K400. Personally I think the bigger size is better compared to there k400. Overall I prefer the roku remote and the apple tv remote the best. ;-)

http://www.logitech.com/en-ca/product/wireless-all-in-onekeyboard-tk820?crid=26

I have a Dinovo Mini and have had a lot of trouble with it. I have since found the "Logitech Mini PC Entertainment Keyboard" which looks nearly identical to the Dinovo Mini but costs half as much. I love it so far. I uses normal RF rather than BT which I find far more reliable. The button layout is a bit different than the Dinovo Mini.

Give it a looksee:

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Mini...76876&sr=8-2&keywords=logitech+media+keyboard

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Its called a smart phone, you already know how to use it so now you just control your HTPC with it.......

Completely agree with you… I’ve ditched my Logitech harmonies (had a few) for the unified remote solution for HTPCs. Only thing that stinks is when UAC kicks in and you’ll have to plug in a real keyboard or mouse to hit okay. I’ve even ditched the receiver remote as well and use my smart phone to control all of its functionality. It's easy to set up and the fiancé finds it easy to use for all 3 HTPCs in the house. If you have a tablet, take a look at Ceton's "My media center" application. They have it for Android, windows and iOS. It is about 6 bucks but I really like the interface. However, I find myself coming back to the phone to control everything.

To the OP, by all means stay away from that cheap keyboard\trackpad. I’ve had a few myself and they all have died within a few weeks of use.

Back