Help Selecting a Basic Phone

OrangeWolf

Gawd
Hey guys, bit of background first. I've been waffling forever on whether or not I should buy a smartphone and I keep putting it off -- the higher monthly cost for data (that I don't intend to use) plus the reduced battery life of the phones always convinces me to wait.

Here is what I use my phone for:
(1) Making Phone Calls
(2) Sending the occasional text message (on average perhaps 15 per week)
(3) Alarm Clock / Timer sometimes

That's it. What's more is that I don't really want to use it for anything else at present, and having a bunch of bells and whistles on it that I don't need really just irritates me. The only "extra" that I don't object to having is a camera of some kind, since that once came in useful when I needed to take a picture of car damage and didn't have a camera with me.

My primary concerns in a phone are:
(1) Battery Life
(2) Call Reception and Quality
(3) It will work with AT&T

My secondary concerns are:
(1) I prefer Nokia (if possible, and only because I've gotten "used" to it)
(2) A camera (if possible)
(3) No other bells and whistles and buttons that are forever set on trying to make me get online, connect to something, etc.
(4) Feels reasonably snappy
(5) Will work in Europe, so QuadBand? but that's not a big deal.

Currently I've got two phones:

AT&T Nokia 2610 Silver GoPhone
att-nokia-2610-silver-gophone.jpg

I love this phone. I've been using it for years on a contract with AT&T. I have to charge it up every few weeks (though the battery isn't quite what it used to be) and it is incredibly sturdy -- it's been run over by a bike, dropped numerous times, etc. It does supposedly have the ability to get on the internet but that feature is hidden somewhere that I don't have to worry about pushing a button that makes it appear. Call quality is mediocre.

I want something like this again. I'd keep using this one but I have to give it to my dad, as he broke his and wants this one. I *could* buy another one just like it, but I thought this might be a good chance to check if there is something similar that has even better call quality or battery life.

Is there another similar phone that actually works better? Is there a specific site that is "the best" as far as checking those things goes? I know there are a lot of cell phone comparison sites out there but I think most of them just post the specs from the manufacturers.

I also have to admit that after all the years I've used it was starting to feel "sluggish" and I'd rather have a fairly snappy phone.

I also have an AT&T F160
refurbished-at-t-f160-gophone-41fkv9s1n2cksgws0ggkc0s4w.jpg

I do not like this phone as much. It is too fancy. That middle button always goes to ATT net or something, as if I wanted to get on the internet, there is a shortcut to "Mobile Video" that is apparently impossible to get rid of and takes up one of my shortcut spots, etc.

The phone itself works pretty good and since I picked it up for $10 I don't regret the purchase, but the battery life isn't quite as good as the old one (though it still beats any smartphone I've ever used). It does at least have a camera.

But it's like it's too new or something, for this era where everyone assumes that the internet must be easy to access from a phone. I have completely opted out of data with ATT, so at least when I hit the buttons by accident I don't get charged, but yeah.

This phone feels snappier than the other one, though I think that's more the other one finally starting to feel its age. I do prefer the snappiness of this phone, but everything else I prefer the old one.

Edit: I also had a Nokia FlipPhone for a long time that I liked. I think it was somewhere between the two I mentioned in terms of capability? It was great but it feel down a crevasse while I was hiking and dropped a few hundred feet -- I never saw it again. I think it was ... the Nokia 6101? I don't know what it was like in terms of call quality / battery life anymore though.

=:=:=:=

So, I know that was a bit rambling and that most of you are more familiar with smartphones, but I'd really appreciate anything you can give me.

If you can't, can you tell me if there's another site that "the place to go" for stuff like this? Sort of like HardForum for HardWare or MobileRead for eReaders or whatever else? Mobiledia? PhoneArena?

Thanks!

Last edited:
*bump*

Guess this wasn't the best place to ask, but can someone direct me to a legit forum that deals more in this sort of thing? I'd appreciate, thanks!

Back