Help save this NES set from best buy.

Cube

[H]ard|Gawd
http://www.businessinsider.com/best-buy-employee-risks-job-to-save-nintendo-set-2013-3

Some people really needs to find away to make best buy look like dumb asses so the CEOs hear it for trying to recycle this good working NES set. this thing has value and should not be recycled and if somebody took it home a kept it then it is recycled goods. How can best buy be that dumb to recycle rare video game items like this?

nintendo-3.jpg

Last edited:
I saw this on reddit yesterday. If I was the dude I'd quit Best Buy for this

Keep the peripherals, emulator the rest? :p

No. the design of the machine and package is beautiful it is like throwing out a almost brand new delorean car. There is something way more to it than just playing games on it.

This is pure fucking sacrilege, old systems are antiques and should be treated as such.

Those talking about emulation, really really? That gets a blow me! I always look for finds like that. Such a nice set. Really sad.

Hopefully that cartridge slot isn't worn to the point where blowing on the cartridges no longer helps! :D

Trivial, so unimportant in the grand scheme of running a business, throw it in the trash and move on.

No. the design of the machine and package is beautiful it is like throwing out a almost brand new delorean car. There is something way more to it than just playing games on it.

But that's the nostalgia talking. To people without that it's just a grey box of horrendously outdated yellowing plastic 1/1000th of the power of a cheap phone.

It's also missing some bits (games plus second controller), so it's probably very used. :D

First of all, it's Worst Buy; I don't know why anyone expects any different? :rolleyes:

Secondly, if he takes it, I don't see how they don't go after him for theft. He gets busted, thrown in jail, this thing never makes it.

If I'm him, I offer some money for it, possibly after calling HR to do so. Money talks. At least offer the "recycling company pickup driver" some cash to meet up off company property and get it then.

They might want to keep that, ROB might need to save the gaming industry once again.

How is it "theft" if it's just getting thrown away anyway?

Rules like this are retarded...Best Buy needs to back down.

Eh its just an old Nintendo and one of the shittiest periphials they've ever released

Tell the guy to hop on eBay or check garage sales if he wants it so damn bad.

Same reason they have to rip magazine covers off when they throw them away. Why doesn't everyone in this thread read up on why businesses don't give away stuff instead of throwing it away before they jump all over BB's back. There is some very solid reasoning to this. Instead, you want to look at BB like their just being dicks...

Same reason they have to rip magazine covers off when they throw them away. Why doesn't everyone in this thread read up on why businesses don't give away stuff instead of throwing it away before they jump all over BB's back. There is some very solid reasoning to this. Instead, you want to look at BB like their just being dicks...

Thanks for clearing that up. Actually no, that didnt answer anything.

It's theft because he doesn't own it. Its BB property right now and when its handed to the recycling company it will be their property. Just because its recycled doesn't necessarily mean it willl be scrappped, it could end up at a Goodwill type of place.

The general Best Buy policy makes sense for privacy reasons (personal data) and to prevent an employee free for all or fights over dibs.

However in this case BB should make an exception to preserve this item. Not necessarily give it to the employee, but at least prevent it from being scrapped.

Okay so refund frauds and recycling costs. But this NES set is an individual item, there is absolutely no reason why BestBuy has to take it behind the woodshed.

Refund frauds, recycling costs, vendor agreements, tax reasons. It's not good policy to just give things away and its not worth their time to try to sell this on ebay or sell it to the employee. It's worth throwing it away because it's 0 liability to them. Whats the bonus of giving it to the employee? Making him mildly happy? Then, what if someone else wanted it? Now do they have to have an employee raffle just to be fair? Ok, lets get the HR department in this now and all of a sudden it is becoming a big pain in the ass. Throw it in the trash.

Last edited:

Sounds like a bunch of greed and excuses to me, mostly. How are people supposed to "return" stuff without the original receipt? Unless Walmart is just lazy and doesn't check receipts. And it says "Oh, well customers get pissy if you need a receipt or get store credit" Well, too fucking bad. Those people are entitled little brats anyway.

The general Best Buy policy makes sense for privacy reasons (personal data) and to prevent an employee free for all or fights over dibs.

This, however, does make more sense.

Sounds like a bunch of greed and excuses to me, mostly. How are people supposed to "return" stuff without the original receipt? Unless Walmart is just lazy and doesn't check receipts. And it says "Oh, well customers get pissy if you need a receipt or get store credit" Well, too fucking bad. Those people are entitled little brats anyway.

You don't need a receipt to return something at Walmart for store credit, because sometimes people lose receipts. Its a customer service thing, Nordstroms & REI don't even have time limits. However it has been exploited to death. People buy video games on sale at say Toysrus and return them to Walmart for more than they paid at Toysrus and then buy the latest game with the credit. If someone bought up all the Walmart exclusive Sparkles collection by Martha Stewart items at Goodwill for 25 cents a pop they could make a killing on the return policy. So that's probably why Walmart burns em.

Last edited:
You don't need a receipt to return something at Walmart for store credit, because sometimes people lose receipts. Its a customer service thing, Nordstroms & REI don't even have time limits. However it has been exploited to death. People buy video games on sale at say Toysrus and return them to Walmart for more than they paid at Toysrus and then buy the latest game with the credit.

I guess either way it makes it shitty for someone. Either allow fraud and make it shitty for the company, or lock down receipts and make it shitty for a minority of consumers.

I guess my solution would be maybe to have the policy be based on the quantity or cost of items. Like, someone couldn't come "return" 20 shirts or a big-ticket item without a receipt.

Cool.

I bet the guy that recycled it is pissed he didn't keep it now, lol.

I would ride out of the best buy on a bicycle with ROB is in the front basket.

Hopefully that cartridge slot isn't worn to the point where blowing on the cartridges no longer helps! :D

But everybody knows blowing on cartridges just adds moisture to them and can cause them to rust!

I don't understand why the employee in question just couldn't keeps his freakin mouth shut and just take the damn thing home.

My generation = always having to make drama out of nothing.

I guess either way it makes it shitty for someone. Either allow fraud and make it shitty for the company, or lock down receipts and make it shitty for a minority of consumers.

I guess my solution would be maybe to have the policy be based on the quantity or cost of items. Like, someone couldn't come "return" 20 shirts or a big-ticket item without a receipt.

They also have safe guards against this getting out of hand. Typically if you want store credit at many places you still need to show ID they sometimes record. If you keep trying it at the same store over and over pretty soon they are going to notice. I return a lot of stuff to home depot, sometimes things I have hung on to for a long time, buy supplies for a remodel and then finish it up a year later lol. They know it and they take it back because I show ID or use a credit card and they can see that I have dropped 10s of thousands of dollars and they aren't going to piss me off over a couple hundred.

Also if you think about it its not really a problem for a place like walmart.
lets say Toys R us has a sale and its really good, if its good enough to exploit it might even be a loss leader. Toys R us looses money on the deal or barely makes any. Then the person returns the item to walmart for X dollars, walmart sells the item later for X dollars. See they are net zero on this, they didn't really lose money. In fact they may have actually harmed a competitor in the process. Since they have price match policies as well they it could have gone another way.

So the point is as long as a company gets back an undamaged product theres hardly any loss of money, things like theft are way worse, there are a ton of ways a company gets shrink that are far more problematic.

He made the mistake of posting this on the internet, now it's blown out of proportion and corporate gets involved. I would've just picked it up and taken it home doubt anyone would've given any shits.

Also if you think about it its not really a problem for a place like walmart.
lets say Toys R us has a sale and its really good, if its good enough to exploit it might even be a loss leader. Toys R us looses money on the deal or barely makes any. Then the person returns the item to walmart for X dollars, walmart sells the item later for X dollars. See they are net zero on this, they didn't really lose money. In fact they may have actually harmed a competitor in the process. Since they have price match policies as well they it could have gone another way.

Almost all places have return limits anymore. Even Wal-Mart. You cannot get more than about $20-30 from Wal-Mart without providing a valid receipt. And places like Target and others require a receipt nearly 100% of the time.

But that's the nostalgia talking. To people without that it's just a grey box of horrendously outdated yellowing plastic 1/1000th of the power of a cheap phone.

It's also missing some bits (games plus second controller), so it's probably very used. :D

No it's not I don't buy apple products but if a fucking apple lisa or 1st year apple make showed up with it's box and looking pretty new I would save the thing it should not be recycled.

I never owned the fucking mac or lisa or so I have no old attachment to it. I have never owned a SGI workstation like the SDI indigo but If one showed up I would not recycle it tons of people keep them around as toys these days.,

Same if a zx spectrm showed up in the I never had one and I would want to take it home in the same way. In fact I do want a zx spectrim someday.

These things are not like boring Pc made to do work with the same parts made by tons of PC makers they are something else.

Last edited:

Blowing into a NES cart does nothing in fact you are just helping the contacts rust away and making it worse.

The problem is the DRM lock out chip and ot only worked becase you turned off the NES and reset machine and set the pin contact in a new way it would have worked if you do or not. Dust is almost never a problem unless you have left the NES and game in a sandbox.

You can remove the DRM chip in the NES and all games work it will never have that problem again.

my golden dream is a mint condition NeXTcube magnesium case, i would assemble a miniITX inside and.... oh man, some day, some day... <sigh>.. :p

Couldn't he just fish it out of the dumpster after closing time once it's been thrown away?

Back