help recommend oem pc for plex streaming

TeleFragger

[H]ard|Gawd
Ok so first this is for a co-worker. I have no issues building my own machine but for him I would rather just get an HP or Lenovo.
He has a 120" projector setup in his basement and he wants to be able to have a HTPC house his movies and play them. He wants 4k playback, few drives, etc...

what I do know is my setup (HP Elite 8200 with i7) is more than capable of streaming live tv from my hdhomerun prime on all 3 channels and still play movies (dvrd from hdhomerun) to my xbox 360 and xbox one.... so for me this is enough but im not at 4k.

can you recommend a OEM pc? I know a while ago there are like small servers that are not power hungry that can be had cheap... curious what is out there now...

thx for the input!

Is the HTPC set going to house all the media and does he need HVEC support? I'm only aware of KL and a few Nvidia cards that support it right now, I don't even know if Nvidia released the driver for it not yet...

Is the HTPC set going to house all the media and does he need HVEC support? I'm only aware of KL and a few Nvidia cards that support it right now, I don't even know if Nvidia released the driver for it not yet...
Nvidia's had full HEVC decode support since the GTX 960. (note: not the 970 or 980, those are only partial)

Far as Intel goes, I think it goes back to most 6000 series but you'll have to check with intel for that.

What about a Nvidia Shield 2017. 4K Amazon and Netflix, HDR, Geforce Streaming from a desktop PC, Plex support(not sure on 4K)

EDIT** So no NAS and existing plex or Kodi server(s)

Aside from future proof....can you readily get 4K content into a computer. You can't rip the 4K disc yet right? Outside of torrenting, is there any source of 4K content that is guaranteed quality?

I just use plex in a basic usage, but it looks like it supports Intel QuickSync. If it works well, that could level the playing field of required hardware....nearly every consumer (meaning not server grade) Intel chip has QuickSync in it.

Back