Help: Prometeia Mach I (II?) Chilly1 modded not working

silent-circuit

[H]F Junkie
Hey. I bought this unit off Luzah here on the [H] and it just arrived today... and I am apparently too stupid to get it working, or it was damaged in shipping, since I saw it working before, he seems a good guy, and it is exactly as described.

I took the outer shell off and checked to make sure nothing was loose already -- it all seems to be in order.

What happens:
-- Counts down from 300, then flashes "On" three or four times.
-- Briefly shows 19C or 20C, which I presume is ambient or starting temp, and the compressor and fan start.
-- Immediate cuts itself off, flashing "Off".

I have it connected to a little Shuttle XPC for power via the molex connection, as I understand that is required for it to function. I also obviously have it plugged in to the wall. The Shuttle is plugged in and turned on when I turn on the unit.

There is a third lead, however, that ends in a two pin socket, like what would be slid down over motherboard pins for case front panel connections and similar. I don't know where to connect this, or if it is the source of my problem here.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! I'm really hoping I'm doing something wrong -- I have no instructions or previous first hand experience with these things and am playing it entirely by ear, so that's certainly possible -- and it wasn't somehow damaged in shipping.

Is it possible those leads synchronize the on/off with the motherboard?

I really don't know.

I have no idea...

All my attempts to find a reference to that wire in /any/ phase change manual so far have failed, but I can't find anything earlier than a VapoChill LS or Prometeia Mach II GT.

I've been trying to get ahold of you Silent! ANSWER YOUR TEXTS/MSN MESSAGES! ..lmao ..i know exactly what you're doing wrong, and no the Chilly is not broke :p I did the same exact thing when i bought it. When it counts down after 300, and it says "On", the little switch that is connected to the chilly needs to be flipped on, then back off ..and viola ..it runs smoooooth as a baby's ass! The wire that you are wondering about is actually a neat feature. You hook it up to the "Power" connector on the motherboard, where you would normally hook up the case switch. When you power up the Chilly, it needs ALL 300 seconds to "warm up" *or if you prefer cool down* so that you don't cause condensation around the socket. Once those 300 seconds have passed, you flip the switch to the on position as i described, then back to the off position and the Chilly will automatically turn your computer on! This way, you won't ruin/fry your cpu and or motherboard. PLEASE let me know what happens once you do this, and if the Chilly got damaged in the shipping process, i will PROMPTLY file for an insurance claim thru Fed-Ex.

It works fine! Sorry for the confusion -- I'll replace the power switch with a momentary on/off and it won't be a problem anymore. Thanks for the explanation!

OH!...one VERY VERY VERY VERRRRYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY important reminder..DO NOT...i repeat..DO NOT!! move the tubing while the chilly is cooling down. Doing so can cause the tubing to crack and leak the freon back into the chilly, frying it instantly. PLEASE..be careful while the chilly is on and don't let -anyone- move that tube!

Back