HELP PLZ: 980Ti overclocking

bizzmeister

2[H]4U
Hey guys,

I just picked up an EVGA 980Ti SC from a member on here, so far loving it. Wanted to overclock it a bit, nothing crazy though. This is what I'm at right now, didn't run a bench mark for more than a few minutes but played a game of Player Unknown Battlegrounds and BF1 without artifacts and smooth gameplay.

reWpBUT.jpg

Curious, what is the safe temp for these cards to be running at while gaming? Also, do you guys keep the fan on auto and let it do its thing or do you guys suggest setting it to something like 60 or 70% and letting it stay there permanently? Should I have added the +5 voltage?

Thank you!

Hey guys,

I just picked up an EVGA 980Ti SC from a member on here, so far loving it. Wanted to overclock it a bit, nothing crazy though. This is what I'm at right now, didn't run a bench mark for more than a few minutes but played a game of Player Unknown Battlegrounds and BF1 without artifacts and smooth gameplay.

reWpBUT.jpg

Curious, what is the safe temp for these cards to be running at while gaming? Also, do you guys keep the fan on auto and let it do its thing or do you guys suggest setting it to something like 60 or 70% and letting it stay there permanently? Should I have added the +5 voltage?

Thank you!

Try to keep it under 70 C to keep turbo boost up. Otherwise you can use Precision X and enable K-Boost which ignores temperature and continues boost aggressively. I prefer Afterburner to Precision personally. Unfortunately Afterburner doesn't have K-Boost.

Max temp for the 980 Ti is 91 C. Though I'd recommend keeping it under 85 C sustained. You may want to repaste the GPU.

For your fans I'd do a custom map of 40% base and 100% over 60 C

I would leave the voltage alone so long as you can achieve the clocks that you want. Go for max clock with absolute stability. Voltage adds heat, so if you have headroom temperature wise you can increase it answer hours for a higher overclock. I also take into consideration my max summer temperature

Try to keep it under 70 C to keep turbo boost up. Otherwise you can use Precision X and enable K-Boost which ignores temperature and continues boost aggressively. I prefer Afterburner to Precision personally. Unfortunately Afterburner doesn't have K-Boost.

Max temp for the 980 Ti is 91 C. Though I'd recommend keeping it under 85 C sustained. You may want to repaste the GPU.

For your fans I'd do a custom map of 40% base and 100% over 60 C

I would leave the voltage alone so long as you can achieve the clocks that you want. Go for max clock with absolute stability. Voltage adds heat, so if you have headroom temperature wise you can increase it answer hours for a higher overclock. I also take into consideration my max summer temperature

Thanks for the info, I set the voltage back to 0 but kept the rest the same.

Any other input is greatly appreciated! Been out of the overclocking thing for a while!

Thanks for the info, I set the voltage back to 0 but kept the rest the same.

Any other input is greatly appreciated! Been out of the overclocking thing for a while!

Yes I was some time ago also.

You can do a modified vbios. But honestly, it won't gain you a ton.

You I use GPU-Z and run a benchmark that taxes your GPU and it will show you what's limiting performance. There is a point where you can plateau and an overclock can actually become detrimental to performance. If you say load up the voltage and that causes your GPU to get too toasty because of the way GPU Boost works it will clock your GPU down.

So play with it and see where you're at. Start from stock with memory boosted and see what your temps are and build from there.

I'm at about 1,550 core and 3,900 memory.

Update for you guys as of now, cleaned out all the dust in my case (Corsair C70) and wanted to run something by you guys regarding this EVGA 980Ti SC+. Just so you know, my a/c was on and it was showing 75F here at my house.

I was playing some competitive Overwatch and had the overlay showing. The 980Ti was reaching temps of 83-86C and staying there throughout my gameplay. Not a single hiccup, slightly overclocked with no added voltage. Heres a screen shot of my set up right now.

pWfGZjY.jpg

Are these temps OK during gaming? Seeing 80-86C consistently on the 980Ti ? I have the fan set at 75% locked , I don't have a fan curve setup.

86C is a bit on the high side.

What are the temps when you take the side of your case off?

If they drop a good bit then you have an airflow issue. If they don't drop much or at all then you might want to consider a GPU repaste.

86C is a bit on the high side.

What are the temps when you take the side of your case off?

If they drop a good bit then you have an airflow issue. If they don't drop much or at all then you might want to consider a GPU repaste.

I haven't tested with the side of the case off but I set up a fan curve and somehow it stayed around 75 to 80c topps during gaming.

I honestly doubt I have an air flow issue, never had a problem like this before. But a GPU repaste may be in order.

Sounds like 75-85c under full load on these cards is normal?

With a Gigabyte 980 Ti G1 Gaming and an aggressive fan curve I don't see much over 80C - but I did do a repaste and it is a different card than yours.

Yeah those temps are pretty high but not out of range. Definitely need some better cooling if you want to get higher and more stable OCs. Though the biggest issue is the CPU with x42 multiplier and 1.256V that seems pretty high (guessin you have it on auto/stock) for such a low multiplier.

Back