Help picking good Ryzen ram @Microcenter

ZacharyS

Gawd
Currently have a 1700x and Asus Prime X370-Pro in my cart, and I have done some reading and it seems G.Skill Tridentz ram is the most recomended right now. But... it doesn't look like Microcenter carries that. I am doing in store pickup in the Dallas area, is there any specific RAM that I should be looking for? Any thing specifically I should definitely avoid?

If you are more on a budget you can get this kit: https://www.gskill.com/en/product/f4-3000c16d-16gisb
It's at the Chicago area Micro Center stores, but it's not on the website anymore for some reason. It's $119 a set right now.
I've got the Asus Prime B350-Plus and with the new beta bios that has the 1.0.0.6 AGESA this stuff will run at 2933.
The timing per the G.Skill website is 16-18-18-38-2N. By default the bios sets 1T and not 2T, but you can fix that. After you pick DOCP, then you have to go down to the memory timings, scroll down there and look for something that says Gear Down. Disable that. Save, reboot, and go back into the bios to check that it's disabled. I think I had to do that twice to get it to stick. Anyway, it eventually works and I got 2T. I like running RAM at factory spec so maybe it will be more stable, but that's just me.
The bios had a 1T or 2T setting near that Gear Down setting, but even if you pick 2T it does nothing and leaves the setting at 1T. I'm not sure why they even have it there if it doesn't work.
Also note that the RAM is on the cheap side and has no heat spreaders. What looks like a heat spreader is a sticker. I did check mine with that Typhoon Burner program and it's Hynix MFR, single sided, so single rank.

Back