Help picking a motherboard for 2700X

Copyright

Supreme [H]ardness
Looking at a couple of models. Asrock Taichi Ultimate and ASUS ROG Crosshair VII Hero. Can't make up my mind.. I know I usually go for Asus because of the really good fan control ability. Not sure how Asrock's is? I assume both OC about the same seeing most 2700X only hit 4.2ghz on average. Thanks for any input. I have narrowed it down to these two but I'm stuck.

The consensus most places seems to be that Asus C7H is the best for overclocking and memory support but the Taichi and Aorus 7 aren't that far behind, I haven't seen much discussion on the MSI board. I went with C7H over the Aorus 7, partly because it seems slightly better but also because there seems to be a lot more information out there on it which should be helpful if I end up having issues.

I ended up getting the Gigabyte Aorus gaming 7. It has some nice Audio pieces to it. I am a hardcore audionut so talks of Sabre, Wima and Nichicon get me going! But I wont even use them since I use a USB DAC/amp.. but that mobo even has USB DAC UP ports that stabilize the power in them. Neat stuff! It's been a decade since I have used AMD.. looking forward to this build!

I ended up getting the Gigabyte Aorus gaming 7. It has some nice Audio pieces to it. I am a hardcore audionut so talks of Sabre, Wima and Nichicon get me going! But I wont even use them since I use a USB DAC/amp.. but that mobo even has USB DAC UP ports that stabilize the power in them. Neat stuff! It's been a decade since I have used AMD.. looking forward to this build!
The consensus most places seems to be that Asus C7H is the best for overclocking and memory support but the Taichi and Aorus 7 aren't that far behind, I haven't seen much discussion on the MSI board. I went with C7H over the Aorus 7, partly because it seems slightly better but also because there seems to be a lot more information out there on it which should be helpful if I end up having issues.

I would say Taichi is pretty damn good, 16 VRMs it's a monster waiting to be overclocked. Probably also cheaper than the Asus.

Using the Asus C7H and only have good things to say... well I wish it would come in a ESD bag but that's minimal.

I would say Taichi is pretty damn good, 16 VRMs it's a monster waiting to be overclocked. Probably also cheaper than the Asus.

Not sure how much the VRM will help with the limited OC of the 2700X already. Most hit 4.2 unless they have some really crazy cooling.. Most guys I have talked to even on custom loops hit 4.2 to 4.3 max. I chose the Gigabyte because it was 60$ cheaper... had great audio.. good VRM.. and the better lighting on the mobo. Could not justify $60 more for hte Asus.. Not even sure I will OC this time as PB2 seems to work pretty damn well.

I don't think it's a bad board by any means but the VRMs on all the top boards are overkill so that's not much of a factor. How well the BIOS is done and what settings it has makes a much bigger difference and seems to be what sets the tops boards (slightly) apart.

When I was looking last week the top Asrock and Asus boards were both $300 and the Gigabyte was the bargain at $240, all three have pros and cons when you compare the components used and features.

The MSI X470 Gaming M7 AC is a credible board. It has much improved VRM support over their past Titanium board one that is certainly above the average X370 board. It also has 2 features that set it aside from the rest of the crowd.
1. The heat sink/heat pipe for the m.2 slots is by far the best of all x470 boards. 2. The steel reinforcement for Both picE and memory slots should be a standard adopted by all manufacturers. I see no major deficiency in this baord. There are plenty of MSI haters who will criticize this board, but those criticism's should be taken with a grain of salt as there have been zero verifiable complaints about high temps as a result of inadequacy of vrm's and power phasing . There criticisms; are not based on fact based reports but theory alone. That does not wash in this scientific world. Engineering is a lot more than just theory.

I think you should buy the cheapest board that has all of the features you want. Everything i'm hearing is most people prefer to just use the precision boost 2 tech on the 2700x or whatever its called.

I think you should buy the cheapest board that has all of the features you want. Everything i'm hearing is most people prefer to just use the precision boost 2 tech on the 2700x or whatever its called.
That certainly NOT true ifthey have their heads screwed on correctly. Precision Boost 2 is a work in progress. I tried it on my MSI X470 Gaming M7 AC and it did NOT give me the optimal overclock my system was capable of. It set me at 4.05 GHZ. Manually I feel very comfortable at 4.2 GHZ with my Alphacool Eisbaer 360 loop. Perhaps with a couple more bios revisions Precision Boost 2 will be up to snuff, but it certainly is not ready for prime time now.

That certainly NOT true ifthey have their heads screwed on correctly. Precision Boost 2 is a work in progress. I tried it on my MSI X470 Gaming M7 AC and it did NOT give me the optimal overclock my system was capable of. It set me at 4.05 GHZ. Manually I feel very comfortable at 4.2 GHZ with my Alphacool Eisbaer 360 loop. Perhaps with a couple more bios revisions Precision Boost 2 will be up to snuff, but it certainly is not ready for prime time now.

The thing is if you use XFR2 it can boost individual cores above what you can usually get with an all core overclock so which is better depends on how your using it. In poorly or lightly multithreaded tasks performance boost with XFR2 will give you better performance while in heavily multithreaded tasks a manual overclock will be better because you can force a higher all core frequency.

Back