Help Partitions not showing up, error loading windows at installation

ucisilentbob

Weaksauce
Stupid stupid Maxtor.
:mad:

So i have two hard drives in my computer. my main hard drive is a WDC 120JB, and my second hard drive is a Maxtor DM9 250G. i decide that i need to upgrade my main hard drive so i get myself a Maxtor DM10 250G to replace it. So i finally get the drive so then i detatch my DM9 and place the DM10 in the slave on my primary ide channel. i load up into windows, use partition magic 8 to set up the drive and then i create two partitions on my new drive. one 40g partition for my OS and the rest for archiving. I transfer all my files on the WDC120JB onto the second partition on the DM10 then shut down the computer.

I attatch my drives DM10 as my primary master, and my DM9 as my Primary Slave. Now when i try to install windows i see that when i'm prompted to choose the partition that i want to install windows on it shows both hard drives as unpartitioned.

I load up partition magic in dos and see if i can re-detect my partitions and now i get nothing. when looking at my DM10 when its in the Primary master, it just says "error #01" and my DM9 just shows nothing.

So i think great, this is gonna be fun. So then i grab my WDC 120JB and put it back under Primary Master (that's how i'm typing this right now) and now i cant even see my DM9 anymore.

So i figure that i'd get back into partition magic in windows and now it just gives me an error.
"Error #90
EZ-Drive has been detected on drive 1, but EZ-Drive is corrupt. Run the EZ-Drive setup diskette to correct this problem. For EZ-Drive support contact your EZ-Drive provider."

Any suggestions to save my DM9? or actually get windows to install?

All the help you guys have would be great!

Have you tried to install Windows with just your DM10 connected? If successful, I would then hook up your DM9 and see if windows sees the partitions. I have no idea why your partitions just disappeared on your old drive and can't be seen. That is weird, but to get Windows installed on your new one, just leave it as the only HD in your system and see what happens.

Just tried that, didn't work. After formatting the DM10, windows goes through the same motions for beginning installation (i.e. loading up setup files) and nothing happens once it restarts to continue installation, it just boots off the xp disc like it were a blank drive.

Any other suggestions??

Do you have your BIOS to boot off of the CD first? If so, it won't hit the windows install ever as long as the CD is in. Other than that it doesn't make any sense. Especially the missing partitions on your old drive.

yea, the pooter is set to boot from cd, then floppy, then hdd 0. i seriously cant fathom why this has happened. now when i connect everything as i had it last night before i started this nightmare, my Primary slave interferes with windows bootup. i.e. if i have my maxtor DM9 connected along with my WDC 120JB it'll crash before loading windows and fall into an infinite loop.

That is why it is booting from the Windows CD after the initial load of Windows. After you do the initial load eject the cd and it should boot into the last part of the Windows install.

I don't have any clue what to tell you on your DM9 drive. That is just weird and it seems like it got corrupted somehow. Hell it could be a hardware problem with it. I would try the above and see if you can get a fresh install of Windows on your new drive and take it from there.

Back