[Help] Painting inside of case parts?

MrGuvernment

Fully [H]
i am going to be doing the outside and inside of my case, for the inside, since it is already the bare metal surface, i assume i just need to sand the parts enough to add primer and paint? or do i need to do the same work as the outside?

i plan to do an external white mirror / or very glossy finish.. inside will be white as well, likely....

If you don't want to sand bare interior metal, try etching primer. It's harder to find, I've checked all hardware stores in my area and none have it, but some automotive stores might (I haven't checked those, yet). Etching primer has mild chemicals in it that etch the metal for superior primer and paint adhesion. The same result could be achieved with sanding, but it requires much more effort and time.

You may choose to wash your interior metal parts before you prime and paint them. It's a good idea, but not a mandatory procedure.

As always, apply coats of primer and paint as directed on the back of the can (instructions on cans these days are pretty good, but no one reads them for some reason). Have fun!

I would wash and dry that case with dish soap...Something that cuts grease really good on dirty dishes..and wear gloves when handling the clean case, Your hands even when clean have oils on them and Thats a ditto on that etching primer I would use that and then sand and paint.

There is a saying for automotive painting...A paint job is only as good as the prep job.
I hope that helped...Good luck:)

I'll echo capridrifter and emphasize making sure to wipe the "bare" metal down with some kind of solvent/degreaser to remove any machining oil residue that is often left behind in the pores of the metal. This is very important to ensure good adhesion for your primer coat. Self-etching primer is a good idea as well...

awsome links and info, that site looks great, i was looking over on

http://www.mnpctech.com/case-mod-paint-computer-pc-case-mod-how-to.html

for the external part.

if i can find that etch primer would save some time as i know the external is going to take alot of time too, i tend to want fast results, but seeing how a good case paint joob could take upto a month. i got my time consumed, but should be worth it, as long as i dont get bored half way through it

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1305997

use xylene, ie. Paint thiner to get the grease/dust and whatever other contaminates off.

sounds good, i think i cna take my time with this, with work being busy, i will have something elese t keep my mind busy so i don ruch this..

now to hope i can find the products, or smimilar in costa rica

ya the long, tedious (sp?) pre work :) but if i can make it look as good as i have it in my head, it will be worth it!

i have also now decided i am doing my monitor and keyboard to match the tower :)

after some reading some places say for the plastic, dont sand it at all or anything, just prime and paint...

after some reading some places say for the plastic, dont sand it at all or anything, just prime and paint...
No SAND! unless you are using krylon fusion, if not SAND SAND SAND with 320g. You can use self etching primer on plastic too

well going to try out on a dead keyboard i have here, it has the rough surface on it, so shall see how it turns out :)

but dam dell, the keys are attached into the top cover, argh!!

i can see why prep is important, even on plastic, the keyboard surface looked good, but now that i have put on 4-5 coats of white, you can really see the imperfections on this keyboar, it is a cheap dell keyboard, but now i know.

i also found out it takes a little longer for things to dry here, at least at night since it is very damp, rainy season now.

Back