Help! P9X79 Pro Slow USB 3.0

I've honestly never known how fast USB 3.0 was supposed to be. My external hard drive and flash drive has always read/written at 35MB/sec and I just thought that was normal. Plugged it into another PC today and was reading and writing at 100MB/sec.

This makes a huge difference. I need to get this resolved. I am running Win 8.1 Pro. Using the ASmedia 3.0 Drivers, latest Intel chipset drivers. I'm not sure what to try next,

Halp?

My guess is that because the USB 3.0 controller on the Z97 PC Mate is actually native to the Intel chipset, that would explain the higher performance. The X79s never came with native USB 3.0 controllers and therefore relied on external USB 3.0 controllers like the AsMedia.

Have you tried looking up the latest AsMedia drivers? Maybe try different USB 3.0 ports on the case and the back of the motherboard?

My guess is that because the USB 3.0 controller on the Z97 PC Mate is actually native to the Intel chipset, that would explain the higher performance. The X79s never came with native USB 3.0 controllers and therefore relied on external USB 3.0 controllers like the AsMedia.

Have you tried looking up the latest AsMedia drivers? Maybe try different USB 3.0 ports on the case and the back of the motherboard?

Directly onto the board makes no difference and I can not get more than 35MBps on the ports. Copying large files takes forever but on the newer system it is 3x faster. This is a huge bummer as I am often working with larger files and do not want to replace the main board due to a somewhat simple issue.

Have you updated the controller firmware? Is your motherboard BIOS also up to date?

I did using the tool provided by Asus. I am on the latest BIOS, other BIOS versions make no difference. I'm starting to think tht ASMedia controller just sucks and I may have to deal with this or get some external storage that uses ethernet vs usb 3.

Directly onto the board makes no difference and I can not get more than 35MBps on the ports. Copying large files takes forever but on the newer system it is 3x faster. This is a huge bummer as I am often working with larger files and do not want to replace the main board due to a somewhat simple issue.

Dig around in the "BIOS" some, see if there's a USB 3.0 boost or something like that.

I ask because a lot of times they won't feed enough PCIe lanes to the extra controller by default. The first motherboard I had with 3.0 had an external chipset. Would run about half speed by default but you could kick it into full speed at the cost of reducing the x16 slot to x8.

If there's no such option then you just have to live with it, that's just how things go with those addon 3.0 chips.

Back