Help overclocking 8700k and Asus ROG strix z370H

pizzathehutt

Weaksauce
Asus ROG STRIX Z370H
i7-8700k (not delid)
Corsair Vengance LPX 16g (2x8) DDR4 3200 c16 1.35v

So the last time i overclocked a processor i used a pencil....its been a while. I am building a PC for my brother with the above MB and CPU, last night i tried Asus Easy tune in the BIOS. Right away it set it at like 5.1+ ghz. so i boot into windows and its turboing up around 5.2ghz...temps are good, no issues, then i pulled up CPU-z and saw the vcore was fluctuating between 1.40 and 1.43. From my reading this appears to be too high for a permanent overclock. i really didn't want to go up that high as my brother wont want to mess with it, this needs to be a set it and forget it overclock. So my question is does anyone have the manual settings for a 5ghz OC for this board so i can easysauce set it up and burn it in?

not sure if this should be under MB or overclocking, mods please move if im in the wrong place.

Here's a little toot for ya call it a happy reminder but I'm sure it will all come back to you. LOL I've done more than one pencil mod on my certified toaster PC back when AMD was proud and strong.... those were the days, In any case I hope this helps. Bios has changed a bit since then hence all the verbiage below. You can google to figure the rest out.

1) Got to product page and download the latest bios and put it on a thumb drive then unpack it. Note: the bios file name.

2) Boot to bios and go to tools then Use Asus EZ Flash 3 Utility to update to latest bios.

3) Go into bios again after it restarts. Go to Boot tab Set boot logo display to disable the post delay time to 3 seconds then Setup Mode to advanced then F10 > Yes to save and exit.

4) Enter bios again go to AI Tweaker tab then click drop down by AI Overclock Tuner and set it to XMP mode then go to Asus Multicore enhancements and select disabled then go to CPU Core Ratio at the top drop down select Sync All Cores then set core one to 51 all 5 below it should now be 51 then go to CPU SVID support and disable it then click on Digi+ VRM and set CPU Loadline calibration to Level 6, then go to Internal CPU Power Management and disable Intel® speedStep™ , then under Turbo Mode Parameters set Long Duration Pkg Pwr Limit set to 4095 and do the same for Short duration Pkg Pwr Limit (4095), then look below Extreme Over-Voltage set CPU Core/Cache Voltage to Manual mode using the drop down, then set CPU Core Voltage Override to 1.37

5) Now before you, F10 > Yes to save and exit beware with factory IHS your temps will spike dramatically even with water cooling. You may very well need to lower the CPU multiplier and reduce core voltage to 1.3 depending on your cooling. When the max temp is reached the CPU will throttle automatically lowering multiplier and voltage or simply freeze or BSOD. If you system boots back into bios that’s a good sign but you are not out of the woods until you stress test your system. One rule of thumb when it comes to overclocking is if you can’t afford to replace it you may not want to start overclocking. With all that in mind F10 save and exit back into bios.

6) Go to the monitor tab and check your systems temps, in particular, your CPU anything below 40c is acceptable however you may want to go to Qfan Control and tweak your cooling fan setting to get it better optimized. As always with any changes you make hit F10 > Yes to save your changes.

7) Now it time to test for stability, fortunately, Asus offers a decent stress/benchmark tool called RealBench. Make sure your download and install before you start the process so it’s ready to go. Open RealBench and click on duration drop down and select 1 hour duration and make sure memory id set to the amount of RAM in your system if you have 16GB so be it, then click on Stresstest. At this point you should have running an app that monitors your CPU temps like Real Temp, Core Temp etc I use Aida 64 Extreme (paid version) According to Intel The max temp/Tjmaxx/T Junction is 100c. At 100% load I like to keep my CPUs well below that and consider 90c my personal max that I want to see and when optimized I never want it over 80c at 100% load. Believe me, these stress tests are the very worst you will ever throw at you system but for longevity even if you have to lower the clock and vcore you are best to heed my advice.

8) If your system does all this easily bump multi up a knotch if it fails it’s time to lower multi and vcore. Honestly, I still like to old fashioned way start at 1.3 vcore and work the multi up slowly from 48 until it fails then back it down a knotch then call it a day and you’ll never have to worry about stability but you did ask for 5.1 or 5.2. If your proc is up to it the above should put you right where you need to be.

9) Finally, if you have hit the silicon lottery and you can do 5.1 or 5.2 with no more than 1.37 vcore I would strongly consider delidding the proc if you want it to last a long time.

10) GL

The only problem with above if the op is concerned is that inorder for the cpu to idle at lower volts and ramp back up when needed is that you have to use adapative or offset vcore not manual.

Back in the day they were just full speed/vcore all the time, now they have speedstep that lowers them to [email protected] idle, then ramp up to 4.xGhz @~1.2v when needed and multiple steps in the middle

wow lots of great info owcraftsman, thank you, yes that is the issue i was having. When i set it to adaptive and run prime95 it drops from 5ghz to about 4.7, but failes to retain the higher voltage (goes down to 1.2), and apperently 4.7ghz @ 1.2 is just a bit too little voltage and causes a couple cores to fail in prime 95. but if i set it manual (currently at 1.325) it stays up there even at idle....i was hoping not to have to play with offset but....
Another question, the second i launch prime95 i instanly go from 5ghz down to 4.7, and then sometimes drop down later to 4.4ghz (temps never go above 51c)....is that normal due to the fact that its a stress test or am i doing it wrong?

Check your AVX offset.

Also, you might actually want it to behave that way- the AVX offset is negative, so lowering it (allowing AVX to run faster) may result in more instability or more needed voltage. And you don't need AVX for much, at least for gaming, yet.

what they really need is a graph with clock speed on one side and voltage on the other and user editable plot points for voltage every 100mhz. so that you can specifily set a desired voltage for each point the cpu may throttle back to

The first processor I ever overclocked was a celleron 300a, I actually had 2 of them, one in a slocket in a slot one board, and one that was a standard FC variant. The fan on the slocketed one was so loud, high pitched and irritating, it was unpleasant to talk in the same room with it. Before this the most recent was an athlon, started with a pencil, then ponyed up the dough for that little piece of tape with the conductive metal in the right place.....good times.

Last edited:
Glad it helped, Enjoy! For what it's worth I don't use Prime95 for stressing any more. IMHO it is over kill. I have written tutorials on how to use it and spent countless hour documenting the most torturous iteration so folks could go right to them for quick evaluation. Somehow though since AVX was introduced I've had nothing but problems so I stopped using it. Speedeu4ia makes a good point and when you are done stressing/benching the adaptive voltage for gaming and browsing might be better for longevity and lower noise levels.

I would have used adaptive but the problem was it kept going up to 1.4.....1.45volts, if i could have set a hard cap on the voltage i might have felt comfortable using adaptive but 1.45=too much. Also i tried realbench(asus product) on the Asus Rog strix MB and every time i lauched (the program, did not even get a chance to set up a test) it crashed immediatly...which seemed odd

I would have used adaptive but the problem was it kept going up to 1.4.....1.45volts, if i could have set a hard cap on the voltage i might have felt comfortable using adaptive but 1.45=too much. Also i tried realbench(asus product) on the Asus Rog strix MB and every time i lauched (the program, did not even get a chance to set up a test) it crashed immediatly...which seemed odd
Adaptive is tricky to setup on some boards, like mine sets vcore to 1.32v for normal and any raise of LLC makes it higher, like the 1.4v ish as yours

I ended up with LLC on normal and negative .050v offset which luckily has stable idle at .75v

It seems the bios of many z270/z370 are kinda half assed, you have to play around to get what you want with adaptive working, or make a slight compromise. Didn't have this issue on my old z77 board but it's still easier than the 3rd party software I used on my Opteron socket 939 back in the day.

The other thing on my z270 is that using adaptive running p95 non avx I get 1.27vcore and using p95 with avx I get 1.32vcore, so more messing around but easy enough with avx offset

Last edited:
Big thanks to both owcraftsman and IdiotInCharge Your advice got me to 5ghz 12hrs of prime95 succesfully completed, it wasnt stable till i set AVX to 3. Many thanks. Highest recoded temp during the stress test was 69.....(69 dudes!!!!)
Hi...I have the same motherboard asus strix z370H and 8700K ... But my temperature jumps over 90 at full load ... How did you manage temp so low??? Can you send me pics of yours BIOS settings??? Thnx

Back