Help / Opinions

FM_Fixxxer

Limp Gawd
Hello all.

I've been reading Hard OCP for about 7 years now, I figured it was time to use the forum and ask some opinions on something I'm torn on.

Currently I'm running a decent system, and I've really really wanted to take the jump into 3D Vision. This is my current setup:

Intel i7 930
Asus Rampage II gene
12gb Corsair Dominator
2x 580GTX

I've been told I have more then enough power to run 3D vision, I know I have no issues with any games at max settings at my current 2048x1152 res.

Are there any users that would be willing to take the time to let me know about their experiences and how things run? I would greatly appreciate it.

Also, as for the opinions, would going 3D be a better option then upgrading my current cpu and motherboard, which will of course have to include the ram. I was looking at the i7 3820 and then picking a motherboard along the lines of the performance of my rampage. Would that be a waste as I currently see nothing, including BF3 that drops below 80fps with everything cranked. I'm really learning towards 3D now that Vision 2 is out, and getting great reviews, but I'm worried about the performance I guess.

If anyone has any insight as to the performance hit that comes with 3D gaming I'd love to hear it, do you love it, hate it, regret the buy or are happy as hell you spent the money. All opinions are appreciated.

Thanks in advance everyone.

I gave up on 3D Vision. It's looking good, however, my eyes were saying big "no" - after spending about 8 hours at work at computer... well, couldn't stay for more then 40-50 minutes, or it started to hurt - and yes, I was tweaking depth of field, but it didn't help. When you have short distance from display to your eyes in 3D, it will hurt, due to the nature of 3D on flat screen and the construction of human brain/eyes.

I had pair of 570s and i7 920 when I was playing 3D, and generally, when I plugged it on, I was puling 60 fps on 1920x1080 with all goodies on in SW:TOR or Rift (60 is max you can get) - though had to OC the 920 to like 4ghz, so it would scale properly.

Effects? They are nice, especially things like WoW area of Deepholm, but in shooters you might find problems with the crosshair - I had sometimes problems with space missions in SW ToR, as crosshair in 3D was not where the game was putting it. Sometimes, with new games, you had to wait for new drivers to fix the 3D Vision profile, or you had some problems (again ToR and Rift). In some games you have to use crosshair from nvidia profile, that will substitute the ingame one.

And as I was unable to play it properly, I sold 2nd card and the AW2310 I was using (and with all the currency rates going up and price hike, I actually sold it for higher then I paid for it :p)

I ain't hating it, when it works, it looks very nice, but when it doesn't work, it doesn't. for few extra effects, I'm not ruining my sight more then I do now :D

Though, with upgraded 3D Vision 2 kit, and with it having higher brightness, it might work better with your eyes.

What I'd recommend is finding a shop, that will allow return of monitor/glassess after few days, and check it personally. You might be one of the few that can't stand 3D, or your eyes won't be compatible. So getting the kit without chance to return it might be very bad idea.

It's kind of a gimmick, but it's fun to play with. I do like WoW in 3D for casual leveling, but for serious head to head competition, I switch back to 2d mode. I agree it can chisel your brain, the 3d in the marsh area in the burning crusade was wacky and gave me a headache but I like it once in awhile. It's really neat with tomb raider. 3d boobs FTW!

All opinions are appreciated.

Thanks in advance everyone.
I don't have any take on 3D Vision, but I do have a suggestion on how to make a forum post. First, look at what other people do and how their subject lines relate to the content of their post. Then decide what your subject line should look like.

When you do this then you realize that "Help / Opinions" is a really bad choice for a forum post subject because it doesn't contain any information about the post. It is pretty much assumed that everyone here posts to solicit help, opinions, or emotional responses from the reader.

In the case of your post the reader has to click through and read your post to find out what it was about. If your post had a more descriptive subject line the reader would be able to decide whether it is worth opening the post or not.

Some suggestions for better subject lines:

"advice wanted - is 3D Vision worth it?"
"share your 3D Vision experience"
"do you use 3D Vision? any good"

or some such.

Thanks for the responses everyone. I'm going to end up ordering through my friends shop, so I'm going to go that route, and find out if his supplier will let him return it if I'm not happy. Again, thanks to all that posted.

Back