help on photoshop making a worn book end

Ruckus

Hardforum Moderator-in-Chief
Staff member
I got an image that im making. It is suppose to be an older material covered book sitting horizontal. I want to wear the book ends like and old worn book.
my book
book.png

and the edges i want to try and make

spines.jpg

can anyone give me a tutorial or heads up on how i can do this?

Can you be more specific?

Are you needing to know how to fray the left and right side?
Make the gold embossing?
Aged red area?

For the frayed edges: I'm thinking you could rotate your sample picture, then pick one of the books. Size and line that book up over your red texture. Then mess with the layer overlay style(lighten?), and I think you'd be able to get that frayed and scraped left and right edge - may need to mask some of the layer.

With the red background in the book title area, I'd look for a texture tutorial. I've seen them apply a cloud pattern, to the layer mask. Use some threshold on that, and then selective mask. Then the book fabric texture will show through in spots.

I'm no master at this. The above is what I'd try off the top of my head.

the frayed edges is what im looking for. more specifically the lightening of the edge and the creases in the material. shadows and lights i guess. Was hoping there would be a "quicker" way than just adding dark and light pixel by pixel which would be the only way i know how.

Could you take an image of an old book and layer it in your image where u need it, or fo do you have to do it manually?

I dont have to do it manually persay, just trying to learn new ways of doing stuff. pretty much what ive done so far is put a white background behind it and eraser some of the random spots and corners with a sparatic brush to give specs of white to it which makes it look worn.

Back