Help On Looking For The Right Mobo For My Extreme QX6850.

Sweet! is there ways to change it from 64 or 32 whenever i want?

EDIT: will alot of the XP 32-bit programs that i use now will they work on Vista 64-bit?

64bit refers to the number of addressable memory locations. vista has an option in which any prog you want can be run in xp compatibility mode. about 4-6 months ago there was a question whether to use xp or vista. no more. vista is the only way to go.

If you're going to game in DX10, you have no choice. Vista 64 is the best way to go if you're getting 4GB of RAM, too. With all the updates since Jan., Vista has come a long way. The only issues you'd have is with drivers for X-Fi cards and old hardware/peripherals, and trying to run old software. SLI has been fixed already with driver updates.
Actually there are Vista drivers out for the X-Fi cards. They came out 10 days ago.

64bit refers to the number of addressable memory locations. vista has an option in which any prog you want can be run in xp compatibility mode. about 4-6 months ago there was a question whether to use xp or vista. no more. vista is the only way to go.

How do you do this option?

right click on the .exe, left click on properties, click on the compatibility tab, then click on "run in compatibiluty mode for" and chose xp, 2000, nt, 95, 97, etc, there you go.

oh wow vista is the way to go! This makes me even more excited! Microsoft actually did something awesome! lol

EDIT: Is it better to go buy Vista at a store than it is buying it off newegg or whatever?

oh wow vista is the way to go! This makes me even more excited! Microsoft actually did something awesome! lol

EDIT: Is it better to go buy Vista at a store than it is buying it off newegg or whatever?

Make sure you read about Vista and how it works. It will be slow for the first few weeks while it learns your tendencies.

Why would buying it from a B&M store be better? Do you mean OEM vs Retail?

Yea, but i understand now.

EDIT: I was looking at the "EVGA 768-P2-N885-AR GeForce 8800Ultra KO 768MB 384-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card" how does it perform from you people that have had experience with it?

so what do you guys think of my system so far? I need a suggestion on Hard Dives.. Should i get one JUST for the OS and one or two for games and such? Also what is a really good DVD Drive that reads disks really well for games?

EDIT: What do you guys think of me changing from "XFX PVT80USHF9 GeForce 8800Ultra 768MB 384-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail (x2)" to a "EVGA 768-P2-N885-AR GeForce 8800Ultra KO 768MB 384-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card (x2)"?

a lot of guys (me included) buy a raptor (or two for raid0) for windows and apps, and a large capacity seagate or wd sata 2 drive or 2 for content. depends on what and how much of what you will put on your machine. a 150gb raptor and a 750gb sata 2 drive would be great.
i dont know the price diff between these 2 cards, but since you are running 2 of the best performing cards in sli, clock/mem speeds wont make too much difference. the evga has a lifetime warranty, you can modify the card somewhat (not electrically) and not void warranty and i have always had really great experiences with their customer service. xfx has a double lifetime warranty (you have lifetime and the guy you sell it to has lifetime). i dont know about their customer services and whether or not you can make changes to the card, never having owned one.

I'm sorry, I'm too lazy to read over all the previous posts again. Could you summarize where you're at, in terms of what you need help with?

Looking at your wish list, I'd say ditch the Ultras (go with 8800GT's instead), ditch the PhysX card (no real need), ditch the extreme edition chip (get the Q6600 instead), ditch the raptor X (get the non-X or a 7200.11 'cuda instead), and you're still missing a mobo (wait for the 780i or whatever chipset if you want SLI).

I'm sorry, I'm too lazy to read over all the previous posts again. Could you summarize where you're at, in terms of what you need help with?

Looking at your wish list, I'd say ditch the Ultras (go with 8800GT's instead), ditch the PhysX card (no real need), ditch the extreme edition chip (get the Q6600 instead), ditch the raptor X (get the non-X or a 7200.11 'cuda instead), and you're still missing a mobo (wait for the 780i or whatever chipset if you want SLI).

Well that just takes all the good stuff away... why go with GT's???

Back