help ocing i5-2500k with extreme3 gen3 bluescreening @ 4.4ghz

hwJunkie

n00b
I'm ocing my i5-2500k on my extreme3 gen3 and at 4.4ghz @ 1.35v it bluescreens after a few minutes of super pi.

Thing is, the voltage fluctuates like mad. In the bios it fluctuates, in cpu-id it fluctuates, when I run prime95 it fluctuates.

In the bios it stays ~1.280v, in windows idle its ~1.328v and under load, well it goes down to 1.240v and thats when i get bluescreen.

I have load line calibration set to 5, which was the bios default.

Should I push this voltage more? Do I have a bad cpu, or should I try voltages on the VTT/VCCSA?

PLL overvoltage: disabled
PCH/PLL/VTT/VCCSA all set to auto

Also my temps are good, i have a hyper 212 evo, idle ~33c load is ~58c.

im running latest bios v1.10

What power supply do you have?
also please list other components to aid in troubleshooting.

im running the extreme 4 gen 3. my settings are
multi 45
bclk set at 100.0
additional turbo voltage .004
cpu voltage is set to offset mode +0.005
current limit, short and long(3 settings) all set for 200
pll set for 1.709
LLC set for level 5 (not auto)
voltage in bios fluctuates between 1.280 and 1.288,

amny people have better luck setting multi at 44,mine passes all intel burn tests
set at 44 fails at 45

what is your ram speed and voltage?

i suggest to select ram at 1333mhz with lowest voltage as possible if you want the highest overclock.

Are you setting a manual Vcore? If not, try that first. If you are, you might try turning up the load line calibration a notch and see if that helps. 1.328 to 1.240 is a large drop - it shouldn't be that much.

I think part of your issue is aggressive LLC. I found out the hard way that it's better to let voltage sag under load. It sounds like your LLC is causing voltage to be higher under load than idle.

The rub is, when activity fires up at the lower idle voltage, it drops ever so briefly even just a bit more until the VRMs counteract. The VRMs cannot react quick enough. The CPU is ~4 GHz and the VRMs are ~300 KHz. There is an in-rush of current from idle to load.

I had a lot of problems pinpointing stable voltage/ghz with my latest build until I forced LLC to minimum/regular.

I think part of your issue is aggressive LLC. I found out the hard way that it's better to let voltage sag under load. It sounds like your LLC is causing voltage to be higher under load than idle.

The rub is, when activity fires up at the lower idle voltage, it drops ever so briefly even just a bit more until the VRMs counteract. The VRMs cannot react quick enough. The CPU is ~4 GHz and the VRMs are ~300 KHz. There is an in-rush of current from idle to load.

I had a lot of problems pinpointing stable voltage/ghz with my latest build until I forced LLC to minimum/regular.
on my asrock mobo 5 is the lowest llc.. bios is 1.288 but in cpuz it dances between 1.246 and 1.258.. when set to level 4 cpu-z displays 1.280 /1.288 like the bios

Back