Limp Gawd
My specs are below in the sig.
I am trying to OC by making my ram timing at 3 - 4 - 4 - 8 1T 200mhz
then on the main cell menu:
htt 3
cpu fsb 220
cpu vid to 1.4v
memory at 2.8v

doing this i could post into bios even at 240 cpu fsb problem is i would hang at the windows loading screen then crash. this happens no matter what type of OC i do.

i am a complete noob to pci-e mobo's so any help would be great if someone could post a link to some good OCing info (particular to this board would be awesome)

Thx

well, first of all have you read cfeclipse's guides?

second, it might be possible your ram just isn't going to go that high. have you tried using a divider?

third, i don't know anything about your mobo, but maybe the pci isn't locking?

that may well be the case with the pci not locking i am using the 3rd sata plug. as for memory.

Eclipse recomennded it and i must saying it's pretty good i was ocing it to 240 FSB using a winchester 3200 at 2.4ghz

so i doubt it's the memory, i may be missing a step or something, anyone?

on a side note i just put the cpu/mobo together is there a burn-in period required?

you could check the temps in your bios, but unless you didn't seat the heatsink right i doubt those would be your problem.

V3|!UM said:
My specs are below in the sig.
I am trying to OC by making my ram timing at 3 - 4 - 4 - 8 1T 200mhz
then on the main cell menu:
htt 3
cpu fsb 220
cpu vid to 1.4v
memory at 2.8v

doing this i could post into bios even at 240 cpu fsb problem is i would hang at the windows loading screen then crash. this happens no matter what type of OC i do.

i am a complete noob to pci-e mobo's so any help would be great if someone could post a link to some good OCing info (particular to this board would be awesome)

Thx

I've got the same board and CPU so here's my safe recommendation. Firstly drop your ram down to 166

CELL MENU

DRAM Configuration Manual
Adjust CPU FSB Frequency = 302
HT Frequency = 3x
HT Width = 16 16
Cool 'n' Quiet = Disabled
Adjust CPU Ration = 9x
Adjust CPU VID = 1.45 V
Extra CPU Voltage 3.3%
Memory Voltage 2.75 V
NF4 Voltage 1.6

DRAM Configuration

Timing Mode = Manual
MEMClock Index Value = 166
TCL = 3
TRAS = 8
TRCD = 4
TRP = 4
User Config Mode = Manual
1T/2T Memory Timing = 1T

If your Memory is O.K at 252Mhz then you'll end up with 2718Mhz and with a good case and good cooling should idle around 30C and peak around 40C.

Also have a visit here - http://riscmaster.cybertechniquesinc.com/index.html and make sure your only running one of the following bios's (v3.0, v3.6 or v3.7)

Cheers,

MellowDude said:
I've got the same board and CPU so here's my safe recommendation. Firstly drop your ram down to 166

CELL MENU

Adjust CPU FSB Frequency = 302
HT Frequency = 3x
HT Width = 16 16
Adjust CPU Ration = 9x
Adjust CPU VID = 1.45 V
Extra CPU Voltage 3.3%
Memory Voltage 2.75 V
NF4 Voltage 1.6

DRAM Configuration

Timing Mode = Manual
TCL = 3
TRAS = 8
TRCD = 4
TRP = 4
1T/2T Memory Timing = 1T

If your Memory is O.K at 252Mhz then you'll end up with 2718Mhz and with a good case and good cooling should idle around 30C and peak around 40C.

Also have a visit here - http://riscmaster.cybertechniquesinc.com/index.html and make sure your only running one of the following bios's (v3.0, v3.6 or v3.7)

Cheers,

i tried this but the puter didn't even boot, it might be because of the low voltage on the memory since ballistix wants 2.8 right off the bat.

anyone else have any ideas?

i just also realized that my temps according to corecenter are 35c for the cpu and 32c for the system... this is kinda odd for me because i never went over 35c when i had my 3200 winchester OC'd to 2.4ghz (used the msi neo2 plat)

Your htt multiplier is too low in this case. Remember htt multi times your fsb should equal as close to 1000 as possible. Also, do you have a fan blowing on your RAM? Using a divider is great advice, find out what the cpu and mobo can do first.

i tried both and neither worked... i am running this on the 3.7 Bios.

ok i am now able to get it up to 250 ht 1:1 with ram at 200
puter won't post running dividers though will keep trying
i got a BP chip is that indeed an e3 or e6?

Well after some messing around and i think a little burn in time... i was able to accomplish the specs below

Adjust CPU FSB Frequency = 280
HT Frequency = 3x
HT Width = 16 16
Adjust CPU Ration = 9x
Adjust CPU VID = 1.45 V
Extra CPU Voltage 3.3%
Memory Voltage 2.80 V
NF4 Voltage 1.6

DRAM Configuration

Timing Mode = Manual
TCL = 4
TRAS = 8
TRCD = 4
TRP = 4
1T/2T Memory Timing = 1T

Running at 2.52ghz (this for some reason is making my CPU have lower temps then when i was running 1:1 at 250fsb) this by the way is not prime stable =\

V3|!UM said:
Well after some messing around and i think a little burn in time... i was able to accomplish the specs below

Adjust CPU FSB Frequency = 280
HT Frequency = 3x
HT Width = 16 16
Adjust CPU Ration = 9x
Adjust CPU VID = 1.45 V
Extra CPU Voltage 3.3%
Memory Voltage 2.80 V
NF4 Voltage 1.6

DRAM Configuration

Timing Mode = Manual
TCL = 4
TRAS = 8
TRCD = 4
TRP = 4
1T/2T Memory Timing = 1T

Running at 2.52ghz (this for some reason is making my CPU have lower temps then when i was running 1:1 at 250fsb) this by the way is not prime stable =\

Try with Memory Voltage @ 2.85 V and Extra CPU Voltage @ 5.5% and see if you can squeeze it a little higher. Don't worry about lifting the CPU voltage as it's still well within the safe range (less than 1.6v on air in my book!)

Was (TCL =3, TRAS = 8, TRCD = 4, TRP = 4) no good for you?

BTW, With one drive I always use SATA Port 4 which was a locked port on my previous MSI NEO2 Platinum. Just habit and although I doubt it, could make a difference.

well, after many a cmos clears i got it to run at 2.42ghz but it is only 4 minutes prime stable which is bleh... i am currently running max voltage for both memory and CPU yet it is still unstable sadly i cannot increase the memory voltage any higher...doesn't ballistix take more voltage then the 2.85 the board provides? anyway i was able to to play bf2 with max everythign and 2x aa with no crashes... the temps are decent too idle 32c maxed 37c... I am happy enough with this OC but if i can make it more stable and more faster would be cool lol... and i am currently running 3 4 4 8 166/270

On a side note the XP-90 had to be placed backwards on the board for best cooling the heatpiped on the side face the memory now and the HSF overuns on the mosfetsat the top of the board... this allowed me to get over constant restarts when trying to OC earlier.

did you try overclocking without changing the voltage to the cpu?

my chaintech vnf4 ultra/venice 3000 combo is at 2385 right now with no change in voltage, and I would imagine that it will go even further when I have time to try it.

doubt it as i was completely unable to post until i upped the CPU voltage

What Bios are you using? The 3.0 and 3.1 are supposed to be excellent for OCing Venice CPU's even though they are not "officially" supported by the Bios.

i am running the 3.7 Bios, keep in mind i do not have a floppy drive t manually change the BIos i am kinda forced to use the windows version of Bios Updater

I have a very similar setup as you. Do u have the E6? At 1.45v I can only hit 2.46ghz. I need to do more testing at higher voltages since I can't even crack 48C load currently.

V3|!UM said:
i am running the 3.7 Bios, keep in mind i do not have a floppy drive t manually change the BIos i am kinda forced to use the windows version of Bios Updater

you might be able to get a copy of the 3.0 bios from MSI and then use Winflash or something.

i'm a noob OMG, inadvertently instead of putting on a divider i ran 1:1 and this is pretty good i guess i was able to tweak out my sytem as so.

Memory 3 - 3 - 3 - 8 1T 200 DDR FSB
CPU FSB 270
HT 3
CPU voltage 1.45 + 9.9% (actual 1.54V) idles around 34c maxes out at 38c
Memory voltage 2.85v
NF4 Chipset 1.65v

so i got a 2.43ghz system running 1:1 now performance wise is this good or would tweaking with a divider and getting another 2-300 mhz worth the performance difference?

So far prime stable an hour running Prime95, nortan internet securities suite, running 5 instances of IE and outlook system feels like it's not being touched lol

V3|!UM said:
i'm a noob OMG, inadvertently instead of putting on a divider i ran 1:1 and this is pretty good i guess i was able to tweak out my sytem as so.

Memory 3 - 3 - 3 - 8 1T 200 DDR FSB
CPU FSB 270
HT 3
CPU voltage 1.45 + 9.9% (actual 1.54V) idles around 34c maxes out at 38c
Memory voltage 2.85v
NF4 Chipset 1.65v

so i got a 2.43ghz system running 1:1 now performance wise is this good or would tweaking with a divider and getting another 2-300 mhz worth the performance difference?

So far prime stable an hour running Prime95, nortan internet securities suite, running 5 instances of IE and outlook system feels like it's not being touched lol

Personally I think use the divider and get the extra 300Mhz.

The on chip memory controller in the A64 CPU's basically minimises the memory bandwidth loss from using the divider. When I'm encoding video I get more benefit from the extra core speed.

Compare your own bench's with mine below and see if your better off without a divider,

SiSoftware Sandra 2005

Ram Bandwidth Int Buff'd iSSE2 = 7146 MB/s
Ram Bandwidth Float Buff'd iSSE2 = 7035 MB/s

Dhrystone ALU 12520 MIPS
Whetstone FPU/iSSE2 4363/5621 MFLOPS.

BTW,

If you want to flash back to an older bios use Winflash (Flash from within windows without a floppy) from here if you've installed live update <C:\Program Files\MSI\Live Update 3\FlashUty\Award\WinFlash.exe>.

Just download each bios from the MSI website and unzip into a folder on your drive to flash from.

A Winflash guide are here - http://www.ecsusa.com/downloads/winFlash.html

well i tried to running a divider and it was ano go. whenever i moved the memory index to 166 and did anytype of OC on the CPU FSB my computer would freeze and i would have to clear the Cmos... as of this writing i am stable at 278 FSb 1:1 2.5ghz.. any ideas why i am locking up when using a divider?

My sisoft is as follows

MEM: 6883/6804

CPU: Dhry 10747 Whet 3940/5233

Back