HELP! Numerous Empty Phone Calls Each Day On 800 Line...

seaneboy

Limp Gawd
I have NO idea where to post this, and am at my wits end.. I am hoping that perhaps some of you IT geniuses could help me out, or at least point me in the right direction.

Ok, so we run a catalog business, that has (2) 800 lines for customers to call in and place orders on. However, since about two months ago.. We've been receiving NUMEROUS phone calls per a day, I'd say about anywhere from 5-15, with absolutely nobody on the line.
Now, at first I thought they were simply auto dialers calling our local line (that the 800s point to), but, we've since dropped the local lines behind the 800 and switched telco providers.
But, we still get the calls, which means they're calling our 800 lines... And, that sucks.

We're on the worthless 'Do Not Call' list, and all that crap.. Which apparently does absolutely nothing... I am told by our telco to file a police report.. But, I was also told that whatever is showing up on our caller id is most likely what any call tracing will provide. And I know for a fact that the caller is spoofing their call id, because anytime we call the number back, it's someone who has NO idea what is going on.

My question is this... Is there any sort of hardware, or anything of the sort, that can block these calls? From what I looked up online, they have 'phone zappers' and what not, but I get the feeling those are all snake oil, or perhaps only useful until the autodialers upgrade their methods.

When we receive the calls.. There is nothing.. Then, occasionally there will be the tone of a button being pressed. It's infuriating, and ties up our phone lines so that nobody else can call in. I honestly have a feeling it is one of our competitors playing dirty pool...

Please help. I don't know what to do. I'll start the police report business today, but in all honesty, we're in a town with (2) police officers.. I highly doubt it's going anywhere... Even if it does get escalated, I know they're not calling in the FBI on this one.

how many lines do you have coming in? seems to me you should have a call queue set up... if nobody answers the phone, hang it up... get the next in the queue...

in today's voip-connected world, there is absolutely no way to track this stuff without some serious help... as in NSA type help...

What kind of phone system do you have?

Well, none I guess would be the answer? It's basically VOIP, but it's marketed as 'Optimum Voice' via Cablevision...
In terms of hardware - we have (2) cable modems that bring the phone lines in the place...

how many lines do you have coming in? seems to me you should have a call queue set up... if nobody answers the phone, hang it up... get the next in the queue...

in today's voip-connected world, there is absolutely no way to track this stuff without some serious help... as in NSA type help...

We have (5) lines.. Line 1 and 2 are for "back of house" calls (to vendors, etc), lines 3 and 4 have the 800 line forwarding to it. Line 5 is isolated fax only.

Yeah, I was afraid that would be the case.. It's really out of control.. We get more fake calls then actual customers now, and that's a sad state of affairs..

Back