Help? New Sony Xperia SX

OrangeWolf

Gawd
I bought a new Sony Xperia SX from Japan (English OS, yay). I've confirmed both through a friend who uses one and various internet sites that it is usable on AT&T's network. My phone is GSM unlocked.

I need a microSIM card for it. My current SIM card is a regular sized one, so I can't just pop it into the new phone like I've done in the past.

However going here - https://www.att.com/cellphones/att/micro-sim.html# - the IMEI I have for my phone causes AT&T's website to say there are a few 'issues' with it, which I assume to be because it's not a phone sold in the US.

How do I get a microSIM card that will work? Can I go to AT&T? Because I'd assume they'd tell me 'no' at the store. My friend's old phone used a microSIM card, so he was set there beforehand.

Cheers

Yeah, just go to the store, tell them you got a new phone and new a micro-sim, ask them to activate it on your line (the sim, don't worry about the phone), put it in the phone and you're golden.

Ah, okay, so if I go to the store the IMEI and/or type of phone doesn't matter? I can just ask for one and get it activated on my existing line? Excellent, thanks.

Ah, okay, so if I go to the store the IMEI and/or type of phone doesn't matter? I can just ask for one and get it activated on my existing line? Excellent, thanks.

Yup.

Or you could just do what I've always done and cut your SIM down to a nano SIM either with a SIM cutter tool ( < $5 on Amazon or maybe try a mobile repair kiosk in a mall) or scissors.

That actually made me think of something else - I've been a bit worried that if I didn't like the phone I couldn't revert to my current (standard SIM) one... but if I get a new microSIM, I can buy an adapter for it to use as regular SIM size for my current phone, if I want to swap back out.

Cheers mate, many thanks.

That actually made me think of something else - I've been a bit worried that if I didn't like the phone I couldn't revert to my current (standard SIM) one... but if I get a new microSIM, I can buy an adapter for it to use as regular SIM size for my current phone, if I want to swap back out.

Cheers mate, many thanks.

I'm fairly sure ATT lets you self-activate via the website (change active SIM ids, etc) so you wouldn't even need the adapter (and I hear they can be a pain) but worst case you have to call CS and give them the number on the sim you want to reactivate and what line to put it on. No big deal. I've done it many times.

are you sure it works 100% on AT&T's network?

I can only find one model for Xperia SX (SO-O5D), and it's from 2012

http://dl-developer.sonymobile.com/documentation/whitepapers/Xperia_SX_WP_4.pdf

Whitepaper above says LTE band 1, 3G HSPA band 1/6/19, quadband 2G

you'll basically get only 2G on AT&T
He mentioned having some trouble with 3g, but not being completely unable to use it. However I don't have internet activated/available on my current plan, so I didn't think it would be an issue in itself.

I admit I had hoped internet would be an option, but if it's not then that's not a big deal.

The real reason I picked this phone is that it was impossible to find another powerful yet small-as-the-iphone android option. I hate, hate, hate phones larger than the iphone 4. Not a ton of options, sadly, if you still want a phone that feels snappy.

He mentioned having some trouble with 3g, but not being completely unable to use it. However I don't have internet activated/available on my current plan, so I didn't think it would be an issue in itself.

I admit I had hoped internet would be an option, but if it's not then that's not a big deal.

The real reason I picked this phone is that it was impossible to find another powerful yet small-as-the-iphone android option. I hate, hate, hate phones larger than the iphone 4. Not a ton of options, sadly, if you still want a phone that feels snappy.

The Z1/Z3/Z5 compact is the next best smallest thing. Z3c is around $380 now

4.5"-4.7" though, compatible w/ ATT/Tmobile (need to choose correct model though)

http://www-support-downloads.sonymobile.com/d5803/whitepaper_EN_d5803_d5833_xperia_z3_compact.pdf

115 x 54 x 9.4 mm (SX) vs 127 x 64.9 x 8.6 mm (Z3c)

iPhone 4 is 115 x 58 x 9, 1cm smaller than z3c

Back