HELP! New build won't boot! Anybody with experience have AIM?

Noah said:
I'm thinking it could be the CPU now

have you ruled out the cpu?

One of the things that made me think it was the cpu was:

after I replaced the mobo, my problem changed where the system would power up and turn off after 1 second, but when I removed the 4-pin (2x2) intel mobo power connector and then it stayed powered on but still no video what-so-ever. I switched the MSI K8N Diamond plus mobo with a BFG nForce 4 Ultra mobo.

kuyaglen said:
have you ruled out the cpu?

One of the things that made me think it was the cpu was:

after I replaced the mobo, my problem changed where the system would power up and turn off after 1 second, but when I removed the 4-pin (2x2) intel mobo power connector and then it stayed powered on but still no video what-so-ever. I switched the MSI K8N Diamond plus mobo with a BFG nForce 4 Ultra mobo.

sounds like a reasonable conclusion, try that

SPARTAN VI said:
Heck, he can even try leaving the videocard and RAM off to see if he at least gets a beep code.

Nothing at all is happening at this point, correct? No beeps, no lights, no fans?

The fans whirr and the lights are on.

Noah said:
What should I check for on the CPU?

When I was switching out the mobos, I removed my Z9700 and the opty was still attached to it. Whoops. :eek: Upon inspection, I could not find any hint of physical damage. The only choice was to test with a different cpu. Fry's is 8 minuets away but they were out of 939's cpu's. So I bought one from Newegg. It arrived on saturday (2 day shipping) when I was expecting it on tuesday (due to the christmas weekend, and Newegg only delivering on business days). I put that cpu onto the BFG mobo and it booted, the bios giving me a warning about boot device has changed etc... I put my original MSI mobo in and it boots up as if nothing ever happened. The only change was the bios was now at default, and its been running fine ever since.

I cant say this is with all motherboards out there. But............. i have sometimes had trouble bootting up right off the bat. My quick fix with a few boards was to place only one stick of ram into the machine ............... try this on every slot till you boot. Then after your install is done you can install the rest of your ram. Voila.................... hope this gets you in.

Back