Help! New build not posting after hard shutoff from BIOS

cbliss1000

Limp Gawd
So, built a new PC yesterday. i7 5820k, ASRock Extreme4, MSI 390, 8 db Corsair Vengeance, several SSDs, and a Season SS-660XP2 PSU.

Build went fine; installed Windows 10, played around with some of the quick overclocking settings, formatted my drives. But this evening I was experimenting with the BIOS settings for the chassis fans (one of my fans wasn't powering on when plugged into the mobo) and I hard shutoff while in the BIOS (ie, turned off the power switch b/c I didn't want to reboot). Since then the computer hasn't posted. Turning the PSU on and off doesn't do anything; unplugging it, clearing the CMOS, trying to boot from the backup BIOS: nothing. I checked and rechecked all my connections.

Please help! The onset of freakout is approaching. Many, many thanks for any perspectives.

Reseat RAM? One stick of ram with no gpu, usb, etc. plugged in? Try different outlet? Nothing shorting it? Spare Psu?

My last build, the atx 24pin is broken. Breathing on it can cause instant shut down or no post. Need to rma the power supply, but Ive been lazy and haven't touched it since summer.

Unplug the power supply and hit the power button a few times to drain any energy that may be stored on the board. Remove any unecessary hardware, double check the ATX 24 and 8 pin power connectors, pull the CMOS batter while the power supply is unplugged, watch 15 minutes, put the battery back in, then plug the power supply back in and try to power up. If that fails, I think you fried or corrupted something.

I will try these things. What is strange is that nothing out of the normal occurred, other than exiting from the BIOS by switching off the power, which I don't normally do (but which I think is fine?).

Thanks. Will report back.

Ok, thanks again everyone. Here's the update:

The computer will boot with the GPU removed-- the mobo turns on and CPU fans spin up, etc. However, with the GPU seated, the computer only boots up (very) erratically; I was able to post once or twice with the back cover screws removed, but not again, with or without screws. At first I thought, "Oh, the GPU was just seated improperly," but since I haven't been able to consistently boot with it seated just fine, I'm pretty sure that's not the issue.

So...what do you think? Bad GPU? Bad mobo? I'll try an old GPU to see where I get with that, though even if it boots 100% of the time, I'm not sure what that proves.

Also, it's odd that this wasn't a problem for the first day. Is it normal for components to fail so suddenly after working fine initially?

Annnnd now I can't even get it to post w/o the GPU there. So unless I'm missing something, I'm pretty sure this is a mobo on the fritz. Do people agree? Or not? Trying a spare PSU did not help.

Annnnd now I can't even get it to post w/o the GPU there. So unless I'm missing something, I'm pretty sure this is a mobo on the fritz. Do people agree? Or not? Trying a spare PSU did not help.

Have you tried with only one stick or RAM (and tried both sticks one at a time)

Have you tried with only one stick or RAM (and tried both sticks one at a time)

Yeah so it's a 4 stick kit - I tried each stick separately in the 1st DIMM slot, unplugging the computer in between sticks. The first one booted it; the rest didn't; then, when I returned to the first, it didn't boot. So unless I'm doing something wrong (do I need to reset CMOS between each attempt?), that seems like pretty erratic behavior.

if its not posting after cmos reset its probably either cpu or the board, so lets hope it is the board since thats what you rma'd and I assume cheaper to replace.

Back