Help new A64 system won't boot - it beeps

Revolver

n00b
Hi...help...

I just took delivery of my new system. Specs below. When I power it up it just emits a loud, long (maybe 2 second) beep that repeats every few seconds and just keeps repeating continuously. It's not a nice sounding beep. The system does not boot up, just keeps beeping. Nothing shows on the monitor at all, I mean it is just black. The fans work. Can anyone give me some ideas about what I should check?

Thanks!

System:
A64 3500+ Socket 939 90nm
MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum
Zalman 7000A-ALCU CPU cooler
Zalman NB47J chipset heatsink
Corsair TWINX 1024-3200C2PT
Sapphire Radeon 9550 128MB
Samsung SpinPoint 120GB
Seasonic Super Tornado 400W PSU
Antec SLK3000B case (120 mm rear case fan)
Windows XP Home

- Take five deep breaths.....:cool:
- Make sure your CPU and HSF is installed properly.
- Unplug / replug your MoBo's power connectors.
- Remove / reseat your memory.
- Remove / reseat your video card.

....try 'er again - good luck.

B.B.S.

is that one stick of ram thats 1 gig? if not and u have 2 sticks, try one stick at a time.

unplug and replug everything

try reseting the bios

edit:

BBS beat me to the post

Thanks you guys, I'll try reseating stuff. Btw it's two sticks of ram. Couple q's:

Er...I've never removed a ram stick before. Do you just grab it at each end and pull straight up? :rolleyes: [edit] Oh I see, there are clips at each end. So just unclip those and then pull it straight up?

If it isn't the ram, how does one go about restting the bios? Never done that before either. :p

NO you do not just grab the ram and pull! NEVER DO THAT.

there are little white lever looking like deals on the sides, press those down, the ram should come out of the grooves then you can remove it. I assume you didnt build this PC?

who ever built/help you didn't test to see if it powered up correctly?

And to reset your BIOS, you gotta look close to battery on your board. There will be a jumper close to it on its 2 default pins ( there is 3 pins total), we'll call it pin 1-2. move the jumper onto pin 2-3 for about 5 seconds, then put it back to default pin 1-2

To be absolutely sure though, read your manual, it'll help you on findind the BIOS jumper

Pressing the clips towards the MoBo should shoot the RAM violently from the slot, probably wedging it in the ceiling. That's the ticket.

.....kidding....:D Seriously, the clips will remove the RAM without any violence required. Do it once, you'll see how it works. After, oh a few million times, it's second nature. Of course, when you go to re-insert the RAM, be sure the clips are "open" before you start.

Clearing the CMOS is different for every MoBo. Your MoBo's manual should tell you how to do this; usually involves shorting two pins / contacts together. If not, in a pinch, you can unplug the PSU from the wall (so that the aux power rail goes dead) and pull the battery out for a few minuites. That works too.....

Regards - B.B.S.

Edit - MaMMa beat me to it this time.....:D

Thanks, yes I saw the white levers right away. Re-seated the ram - same thing, no boot, just beeps. The shop that built it for me did testing with OS installed. I am hoping something simply came loose during shipping. Don't worry, I'm not trying anything unless I first make sure I am not going to break something. I will try re-plugging/re-seating a few more things and if that doesn't work, I will talk to the builder tomorrow. Thanks again.

All I got to say to you my friend is good luck. Happens all the time and it will not be the first. Let the force be wtih you! ;)

Instead of just guessing on what it is do you happen to know what bios you have.

If so you can look up the bios beep code and it'll basically tell you what to look for.

I'm surprised no one mentioned this already its one of the first things you learn to do in a+

You can find the bios manufacturer in the motherboard manuel book.

The k8n uses the award bios, a quick google search showed that the beep you are describing means there is something wrong with the memory.

GlobalFear loves Google.

now that its summed up to a memory issue, if your sure its seated right then you can have some bad ram sticks.

The amount of static electrcity it takes to actually fry one of those ICs is so small you would never actually feel the shock.

Since you have 2 sticks just try them 1 at a time

The bios is Award. Is this all I need to know for the beep codes? Anyway I looked up Award beep codes and the one described as "repeating (endless loop)" says "memory error - check for improperly seated or missing memory". I have reseated the memory already with no resolution. I will give that one more try.

Then again the site I got this info from lists some "Unkown Codes" submitted by users and one guy submitted this: "Continuous beeping, each lasting about three seconds. The beeping does not stop. Seems to be CPU related."
So that does not sound good. I am not going to muck around with the CPU. I did reseat the CPU cooler but I am not going to mess with the CPU itself. I will speak to the vendor.

This is the site with bios beep codes: http://bioscentral.com/beepcodes/awardbeep.htm

Well, this now officially sucks. :(

Its most liky a bad ram stick just try them 1 at a time and if it boots with 1 of them in there and not the other you solved the problem.

Brisbylan said:
Instead of just guessing on what it is do you happen to know what bios you have.

If so you can look up the bios beep code and it'll basically tell you what to look for.

I'm surprised no one mentioned this already its one of the first things you learn to do in a+

You can find the bios manufacturer in the motherboard manuel book.

Bah to A+, I have 9+ years experience, you just tend to forget things :D

But you are correct, beep codes are good. So are the "diagnostic LEDs" check that out in ur book.

Did you try what I mentioned from the beginning? Use only one stick of ram to test, then both. if one doesnt work, try the other.

:p

i've got 2 years of a+ cert
1 1/2 years field experience in a high volume repair enviroment

tho most of my time is actuallyy spent troubleshooting electronics which sucks cause i get to do less and less pc repair at work each month

but yeah ya do tend to forget things.

The whole boot process is good thing to know tho it make it easier to troubleshoot.

chances are tho if hes not getting past the memory test during post none of the service leds are coming on they happen after that part of the boot.

I tried one ram stick at a time, no luck. Any other ideas?

A thought - is it possible to put the ram sticks in the other two ram slots?

i've certainly heard my share of threads where it would boot in one set of slots but not in the other set.

Tried the other two ram slots, also tried those slots with the sticks one at a time, no luck. Sheesh...

I have not yet unplugged and replugged every single connector, so I am going to try that. My HD is SATA so that cable was easy to unplug and plug in again. But here is perhaps my stupidest question yet: Is there any trick to unplugging an IDE cable? Should I just put my foot on the damn box and just yank the cable as hard as I can? Kidding, but really, do you just pull it out or are there any little levers or whatnot?

Thanks...tried all the connectors, no luck. Btw good suggestion about trying another ram stick but I don't have one available. Any other ideas would be appreciated...

Damn, this is going to be a hassle, this machine was shipped half way across Canada. I will report any findings in case anyone is interested.

starhawk said:
no tricks... just a good solid yank.
....ehh, don't yank. I grab onto the ribbon on each side and pull gently, side to side. Gentle gets it done....

B.B.S.

by 'yank' i meant 'tug really hard and wiggle side-to-side as you do'... works every time, no bent pins or broken cables.

BlindedByScience said:
....ehh, don't yank. I grab onto the ribbon on each side and pull gently, side to side. Gentle gets it done....

B.B.S.

gentle is key, just like the way women like it. try talking to the cable too, smooth talk. I know i do it after a [H]ard core overclock and the pc wont boot up, "come on baby"

smooooothness :cool:

Oh yeah I got that gentle wiggle thing down. Oh by the way, I figured out how to remove the IDE cable. ;)

Anyway, the only suggestion I haven't tried is clearing the CMOS. I am wondering if that could really be of any use since the BIOS settings are likely just default settings anyway since this machine is brand new...? Or could clearing the CMOS do some good anyway?

well... the last time i tried it was on a 91 mac lc that refused to do anything when you pressed the power button... after an hour with the batt out, i hooked everything back up, flipped the switch, and "bong"... it worked again!

Ah so there is potentially an x-factor in the CMOS somewhere...I suppose it can't hurt to try since my only other option will probably be to ship it back and let them figure it out.

Re: video card - I was thinking, should the video card not have a power connector connected, or does it get its power from its slot?

1. Read the BOOK that came with your Motherboard and look for the code meanings there, don't just google it.

2. Even if you think it is a memory error, try taking out all the parts, and putting in the bare minimum needed to start the system. Then try starting it.

I have read through the mobo manual and there are no beep codes in it.

I am not sure what the bare minimum is to start the system but I did try it with both memory sticks removed (assuming the mobo may have some small amount of onboard RAM, not sure though). The only other things I could disconnect I suppose would be the CD drive and floppy drive. I am at work right now so I can't try that until tonight. Thanks for the suggestions.

damn what a bummer, if you have another pc laying around, i'd suggest trying out part by part in a board that you know that works, goodluck

At this point since it is a new rig you should return it, it sucks but there should be no problem like this for a new rig.

Back