Help Needeed- Halfway across the world in India!!

Hi guys ! I'm a new member of the forum , but have been a silent reader of this site for quite some time & i must say it rocks!!

I know its been asked umpteen times before- My XFX 8880GT AD is running very hot....but the diffrence in my case is that RMA will be a hell lot tougher for me due to diff countries..also here its almost impossible to find VGA coolers like Zalaman or Thermalite....so i'll need to work up smth innovative to keep my card cool..:cool:

Here the story:
I`m having serious issues with my GPU overheating . At no load its core temp is at 65C (149 F) And while playing even old games like Half Life2:Episode One the temp is around 86C-88c (186F to 190 F) + at graphic intensive scenes it jumps to a whooping 98C (190.4 F) ...all temps were measured using Riva Tuner. I see that the fan speed is always locked at 29 % + am not able to bump it up either using riva tuner (no noticable change in the fan sound while changing the fan duty cycle) . I have reasonably good case cooling with a 80 mm fan blowing directly over the gpu + another over the CPU Also I`m not able to register my card on teh website as it says my serial number is not found ( Produt Code : PV-T88P-YHF4); S/N: J1H297043)

I looked up at a reseller site the pictures for your video card and clearly it is too small to keep the card running at a much cooler temperature. There is not much you can do to improve on those single slot heatsinks, they just do not have the capacity and surface area to handle the heat at a much cooler temperature.

If you have plenty of room inside your case next to your video card, you could try using an old CPU heatsink and figure out how to secure it onto the card, checking to make sure it isn't shorting out any components on the card.

Due to the size of the heatsink it could require anywhere from 1 to 3 empty slots for clearance.

One way to secure it on is to drill holes onto the heatsink to match the holes on the video card, then secure it with nuts and bolts. Always double check the fit making sure nothing is shorted out, and also doublecheck when you put the video card in its slot that the heatsink isn't damaging something on the motherboard.

This works much more easily if when you remove the original video card heatsink you find that the GPU is at the same level as any shims that are around it [meaning a flat CPU heatsink will fit perfectly] . If however on the original video card heatsink you find it extends outward in a small square to make contact with the GPU then it is most likely going to require a lot of work in either removing the shims or modifying the CPU heatsink to fit the GPU correctly. That may turn out to be too much more work/risk for you to want to do this.

@Hells_Kitchen - which city are you in?
I'm in Bombay, and the HR03 and various Zalman coolers are easily available here.

Call tech support maybe they're down the road. Hahahaha sorry couldn't resist.

Call tech support maybe they're down the road. Hahahaha sorry couldn't resist.

That's funny.. srsly.

Umm.. Try reapplying thermal paste. I know nothing about the climate of India but I'll bet it's hot there (correct me if I'm wrong, and sorry for my ignorance), that could be part of the problem too.

That's funny.. srsly.

Umm.. Try reapplying thermal paste. I know nothing about the climate of India but I'll bet it's hot there (correct me if I'm wrong, and sorry for my ignorance), that could be part of the problem too.

I'm not from India nor have traveled there, born in the USA, but I work in IT and so I know a lot of Indians and they tell me that India has a range of climates, but yes, in sothern India it gets very warm in the summer from what I'm told.

Yes, the card just shouldn't get that warm, it's well out of spec from your numbers. I think that reapplying the paste and perhaps a better cooler is a good idea.

it is possible to build your own. or modify something like said above. for that matter you can make a heat sink out of a copper rod and copper wire. would be some work to do it.

icecubes and string my friend :cool:

In game, when it reaches these temps, does it start artifacting? I know nobody here wants to admit it, but these things can run perfectly fine at huge temperatures.

Simply reseating the heatsink using AS5 can give you an extra couple degrees... if you can get your hands on some AS5 (doh*).

yeah, buy an aftermarket cooler man thats all I got. Anyone here [H]ard enough to spend some time and help this guy out?

@All :- Thanks guys for ur replies!! In fact i'm on the hunt for some aftermarket coolers & AF5 (dman these things are tuff to find here) . I've aready raised a support ticket with XFX, lets see what do they have to say!! ...I must admit one silly idea came to my head once ...but that was more of a desparation move.... i thought of removing the whole side panel of my cabby & puting a huge table fan next to it blowing at full speed!!! :D:D:D ..The logic? ..no cooling fan /cabinet can beat that kind of airflow! :D ...but did not try it...thought there must be more than what meets the eye!

Yes I do stay in southern India in they city of Hyderabad, & its damn hot here...around 43 degrees in summer! :eek:

The temp also touched 100 degrees today....but strangely i've noticed no tell tale signs of overheating..no artifacting, no freezing or crashing yet...from now i'm calling my card as XFX 8800GT Electric Stove Edition!

So on with with my search for AS5 & vga colers, meanwhile any more ideas/suggestions woluld be heartly appreciated.:)

@TechHead - I'm in Hyderabad, ca you please help me with the cost of these coolers & where can i get them in Mumbai :)

@All :- Thanks guys for ur replies!! In fact i'm on the hunt for some aftermarket coolers & AF5 (dman these things are tuff to find here) . I've aready raised a support ticket with XFX, lets see what do they have to say!! ...I must admit one silly idea came to my head once ...but that was more of a desparation move.... i thought of removing the whole side panel of my cabby & puting a huge table fan next to it blowing at full speed!!! :D:D:D ..The logic? ..no cooling fan /cabinet can beat that kind of airflow! :D ...but did not try it...thought there must be more than what meets the eye!

Yes I do stay in southern India in they city of Hyderabad, & its damn hot here...around 43 degrees in summer! :eek:

The temp also touched 100 degrees today....but strangely i've noticed no tell tale signs of overheating..no artifacting, no freezing or crashing yet...from now i'm calling my card as XFX 8800GT Electric Stove Edition!

So on with with my search for AS5 & vga colers, meanwhile any more ideas/suggestions woluld be heartly appreciated.:)

@TechHead - I'm in Hyderabad, ca you please help me with the cost of these coolers & where can i get them in Mumbai :)

heh...im not that far away here in Dhaka, and max temperatures reached 41C today. Oh and im using a 8800GT aswell :)

all that ive done is, create custom profiles in rivatuner, so that when temperatures exceed 75C, fan speed goes up to 90% (100% seems much louder honestly, and doesnt drop temperatures much). I also applied AS5, peel off the sticker and strapped a low speed 92mm fan on it.

temperatures dont exceed 82C, even while playing crysis. oh and its overclocked to 720/1650/1900:)

hope this helps!

Back