help needed w/ spyware

vict0r

[H]ard|Gawd
my system is just F****D right now...so much spyware, i let me father on the pc to check out www.flalottery.com and god knows what else he watched :eek: ... think is filled with malware and i run avg free but seems it aint helping...what other FREE program would you recommend to do this?
or shall i remove with avg free in safe mode?

thank you!

AVG isn't going to run everything...

What I'd do is download a program called rkill.exe and installed MBAM. Boot into safe mode and run rkill.exe, then run MBAM. rkill will kill any processes that it knows are malware which will allow MBAM to clean it.

That should get you started...

First, get a good antivirus program...AVG is as useless as tits on a nun.

MSE, Avast, AntiVir....all much better and still free.

Second, actually..make this one first..head over to the networking and Security forum..and refer to the stickied thread over there, the malware removal thread. A LOT of people put lots of time into that stickied thread with all the good tools and tricks you'll need. Will save a lot of time and posting over in this thread.

Boot into safe mode + networking

Run Malwarebytes (Free, and it should kill this infection on its own if in safe mode)

However, rkill (also free) is a good recommendation.

Avira is a free antivirus that will catch most of what remains. If not, MSE (microsoft) will also catch most of what remains.

If you need another removal tool, try the trial version of Hitman Pro (a newer cloud-computing malware removal tool).

That malware removal sticky looks to be pretty good as well. I wish I had seen that earlier... it would have been helpful.

Additionally, if you're looking for more security measures, the Wilder's Security forum is full of paranoid people who seem to go as far as on-demand (or full-time) virtualization to ensure pristine OS-installs at all times. They also use a whole bunch of programs that receive almost no attention here.

First, get a good antivirus program...AVG is as useless as tits on a nun.

MSE, Avast, AntiVir....all much better and still free.

Second, actually..make this one first..head over to the networking and Security forum..and refer to the stickied thread over there, the malware removal thread. A LOT of people put lots of time into that stickied thread with all the good tools and tricks you'll need. Will save a lot of time and posting over in this thread.

Strange, AVG scores well on the AVtests, higher than MSE and AntiVir anyways.

what makes you so certain its infected?

I generally use http://www.av-comparatives.org/ - to compare AV software. Avira is at the top along with G-data, and MSE is doing well enough. AVG doesn't fare too well, however.

I suppose AVtests rates it higher... but I'm not too familiar with that site, and I don't like that some of their tests say, "commissioned by Symantec." That's a bit odd... At least their tests are recent.

Perhaps that site is good and AVG will work for you. I don't know.

Strange, AVG scores well on the AVtests, higher than MSE and AntiVir anyways.?

Not strange when reading the tests over the past quite a few years over at av-comparatives.org....the only neutral unbiased real world AV testing site most trust. Adding to that, factoring in real world experience from those in IT which consistently see AVG leave the front door wide open to anything "bad" out there. It can't find its way out of a paper bag.

Back