Help Needed To Migrate Windows 2000 Server To Server 2003 On New Hardware

rosco

Gawd
I have started searching around for the correct docs on how to do this but haven't had much luck finding one that addresses what I'm trying to do.

I have an existing Windows 2000 server and am going to replace it with a server running Windows 2003 Server R2.

I would like to know the best way of doing that. Most of the docs I have seem talk about it as though you're keeping the same server hardware in place. That's not what I'm trying to do.

So, you don't have to go through all the steps I need to do. If you could just point me to the correct doc and give some helpful hints I would appreciate it.

Thanks.

It's just a basic file/print server as well as our domain controller.

Microsoft has some pretty good free migration tools for migrating file servers. Look for server migration wizards.

For AD, its really straightforward unless you currently have no other Windows 2003 DCs in your environment. If you don't, you have to do some schema extensions before you can bring up a 2k3 DC.

Also you need to know if a lot of apps are hard coded to look at the current DC for LDAP/LDAPS and such. Also, pay attention to any FSMO roles on the server, if any.

What are the tools called? Is it just the ADMT?

We have a total of two Windows 2000 servers currently but both will be getting replaced by this one new server.

I thought I would be able to do something like a swing migration I have done in the past for a SBS 2003 to SBS 2003 on a new server migration. The domain kept the same name etc. I was hoping I could do something like bring up the new Server 2003 as a member, sync all DNS info etc and then seize control of the domain. I realize some upgrading to the current 2000 server would need to be done.

I'm still researching this but a lot of the docs don't seem to address my exact scenario. Think like upgrading an existing server to 2003 or upgrading 2000 so you can have a 2003 member server. I'm still trying to find that clear cut article on how to migrate over to a new server running server 2003.

Last edited:
Unless you are wanting to move to a new AD, you shouldn't need the ADMT. I was assuming you would build the 2k3 server as a member server in the current domain. Install DNS, make the schema extensions, then dcpromo the 2k3 box to a DC, and transfer the FSMO roles. Dcpromo the old 2k DC down, and remove it from the domain

Then move the file shares from the other member server.

Since it sounds like you have small shop with a fairly straightforward file server. The easiest way may just be to copy the file share directories over using robocopy to copy the exisitng file system security using the "/sec" switch. Then create the shares with the appropriate security by hand.

Or, if the drive letters and paths are consistent between the old and new server, just export out the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanServer\Shares key from the old server, and import it on the new one to copy the shares and share permissions after using robocopy to copy the data into place. After importing the key, just restart the server service to put the shares in place, or reboot. Whichever is your preference.

Last edited:
nessus: Your way sounds like what I need to do. Have a doc that details the steps?

At first glance my main question would be how to transfer FSMO roles.

Thanks.

Back