[Help needed] Samsung Galaxy Nexus driver issues

Blorgon

Limp Gawd
UPDATE 8/19/14: Finally found something that works: a Windows Update for N and KN versions of Windows 8.1. USB debugging needs to be on for the device to show up. This is the easiest fix I've found, and it's from an official source to boot. Thanks to all those who helped.

I haven't been able to connect my Galaxy Nexus to my Windows 8.1 PC. When using Samsung's drivers, the device setup manager was hanging here, and never progressed:

961037ffee.png

When using the phone in developer mode with USB debugging enabled, my Windows device manager would show an MTP device, but I still didn't have access:

12382c398e.png

When I right clicked on that, and chose to update the driver software, this was the message I got:

f7c6181547.png

Since I was planning on flashing to Cyanogenmod anyway, I just went ahead and did that. After flashing to CM11 (using the CM installer), Windows automatically installed a driver for the phone when I reconnected. In device manager now, it shows up as Android Debugging Bridge, but Windows still won't give me access to the phone's storage:

126d57cb2e.png

I've got debugging turned off on my phone, and USB connection set to MTP, so I'm not sure why the phone is showing up as ADB. And I can't figure out for the life of me why nothing I've tried works. I've tried googling the problem, and every fix I've tried hasn't worked. The only cause I can think of is a bad USB cable, but I've tried three different cables, and all of the USB ports on my computer (3.0 and 2.0). That said, I don't have the OEM charger or USB cable, just a new HTC charger that came with the phone (bought used), a Kindle USB, and my previous phone's USB. Further more, if the USB cable, or the USB port on the phone were somehow defective, why would I have been able to successfully flash the phone to CM11 at all?

Can anybody help me out?

Last edited:
This will happen with any android device. If your computer fails to recognize it as a USB device you need to go find the device driver on the companies website. Its usually in the developer section.

Been through all this myself multiple times and I keep meeting with no success with Windows 8/Nexus 5.

Windows 7 works great. Nexus driver works great. Cyanogen and L Preview both install great on 7. So if you have access to a 7 machine - I just used my work computer - that is the easiest route.

This will happen with any android device. If your computer fails to recognize it as a USB device you need to go find the device driver on the companies website. Its usually in the developer section.

Already tried that. See the first part of the OP, where I state that the Samsung drivers don't work.

Last edited:
Had this same issue with an apple iphone, restarted the iphone, reconnected to windows and it recognized it after that.

Okay, here's a question: what is ADB anyway? I'm under the impression it's for people that are developing stuff for Android devices. All I want to do is put some music on my phone. Isn't there a simpler way to just get MTP working?

If you have WIFI just share a folder on your Windows PC and use an Android file explorer like Solid Explorer or ES File Explorer that supports SMB file copy.

I think I'm just going to use Google Drive/Music manager.

I think this is absolutely obnoxious on Samsung and Microsoft's part though. I'm appalled that my old LG from 2006 fares better than a two year old device.

I have the same issue with my Gnex with CM11 on Windows 8.1. It's hit or miss with getting it to see the files on the back end. The PC see's the device but won't show you the files. The work around I've done is to turn on debugging in developer mode and replug it in, or vise versa, if debugging is on I turn it off.

Solution found! Thanks to all those who helped. One last TTT for any interested parties still looking for a solution. See first post for update!

Back