2[H]4U
Hello,

I bought this case:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07PPQTR6B
And inserted my 500gb Samsung 960 Evo.
So far, so good.

However, it doesn't want to work.
I have tried:

1) Connecting to both computer case USB and directly to the motherboard.
2) Tried different cables.
3) Pushed the little button to unlock write.
4) Initializing via Disk Management.
*tried both MBR and GPT style. MBR gives me "The system cannot find the file specified" error, while GPT gives me "The request failed due to a fatal device hardware error".
5) Tried 3rd party partition managers which didn't work. Maybe some others work?
6) Tried booting with Windows 10 USB into setup and formatting/partitioning that way but no option is available.

Last time I checked, it worked well in m.2 slot but it was before I tried to use the case, maybe I broke the damn thing.
I had Windows 10 installed on it so maybe it's blocking it from being recognized in the case?
I'm not home for a couple of days, figured maybe I'll try to get some tips from the knowledgeable folks here before I get home and try it directly in M.2 slot and format that way.

Attachments

• 20200225_230722.jpg
    20200225_230722.jpg
    448.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 20200225_230925.jpg
    20200225_230925.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    273.1 KB · Views: 0
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
In my experience normally SATA only M.2 slots use the B key while SATA/PCIe hybrid slots and PCIe only slots use the M key, SATA M,2 drives normally have both the B and M notches while PCIe SSDs normally only have the M notch.

The slot looks like a B key and yet the 860 EVO is supposed to be a M key. Also that drive looks weird, normally M.2 drives have the components on the top, but I don't see any components in your picture.

I wonder if the slot is slopilly made and has allowed an incompatible drive to be inserted upside down. If so I hope inserting your drive upside down hasn't fried anything.

Also that drive looks weird, normally M.2 drives have the components on the top, but I don't see any components in your picture.

I believe it's upside down.

Back