Help: Need to remove Tuniq Tower back plate...

loft

Limp Gawd
Any tips on getting this damn thing off? The tower is being rma'd... so it needs to go back.

you will have to take the motherboard out, you might be able to just lift up the one edge enough to slip the backplate out.

you will have to take the motherboard out, you might be able to just lift up the one edge enough to slip the backplate out.

The board is out. The TT120 backplate has an adhesive square on it. I can't just pull it off...

USe a hairdryer on the back of the metal plate... It should heat the pad up enough to where you can remove it from the board.

Expect to blow heat on it for 5-6 minutes, while slowly wedging it off on each side.

Credit card flat against the board (edge against the plate), and a flathead screwdriver wedged into the corner. Credit card to avoid damaging the board, obviously.

I'll give the hairdryer a shot. Really hope it works because I want this tuniq gone asap >.>

Perfect application of AS5 3 times... 2.4ghz e6600... idle temps 30c to 34c, load temps always spiking at 46c. That was with the side of my case off. With it on, idle was around 36c and load was 50c.

Now I just have some sticky residue left over that I need to remove.

Edit: Should I use clear scotch tape to remove the residue?

you rma'd for that?!? my idle temps are 49-52 and load 67-70*c. Im on a e4300 though. Different cores and I dont have a problem.

Wow....lmao!

If those temps arent acceptable to you then why are you even using air cooling? Those temps are waaaaaay in the acceptable range...

you rma'd for that?!? my idle temps are 49-52 and load 67-70*c. Im on a e4300 though. Different cores and I dont have a problem.
I'm in the same boat. I've got a e4300 at 3ghz with a Zalman 9500 and the idle temps are 44-46 and load 69-73.

To OP: You're temps are very low for a tuniq tower. What are getting your temps with?

the back plate is hard to remove had an asus heatsink which was impossible to remove.

i recommend you to leave it on and try to lap the cpu,heatsink

good luck

Just for arguments sake, what are the temps if you use the stock HSF? Maybe worth your while just to see...

I got stock hsf, my 6600 at [email protected] is running 38C idle, 67C load, room temp is about 70-75F... in the process of switching to a watercooling... Temperatures are reported by coretemp/speedfan (in my case they concur), TAT reports lower temps

Won't be back? :rolleyes:

Those were the temps I was getting at stock speeds. I believe the tower is defective as it had no air coming out of the exhaust portion of the unit.

Won't be back? :rolleyes:

Those were the temps I was getting at stock speeds. I believe the tower is defective as it had no air coming out of the exhaust portion of the unit.

It's not. 46c is such a good temp for a conroe, that your board is reducing your fan speed :eek:

Until you get up in the 60s, you probably won't feel much air. Or, run the fan from a molex if you wanna be sure... If, from a molex, you get no exhaust air, then RMA it.

My AC Freezer fan doesn't even spin on my media server...

I did try with a molex connector. Same results.

I'll check the stock HSF and see what kind of temps I get.

Stock HSF with AS5:

Idle = 32c
Load = 46c
Ambient Room = 20c (Was the same when using the TT120)

That's with the case side panel on, and using Orthos with the e6600 at stock speeds.

Temps taken with CoreTemp, verified in TAT and Speed Fan.

Wow, the OP doesn't know a single thing about cooling and is returning ONE OF THE BEST coolers because of low temperatures, WOW!

Go buy a phase cooling unit somewhere!

Wow, the OP doesn't know a single thing about cooling and is returning ONE OF THE BEST coolers because of low temperatures, WOW!

Go buy a phase cooling unit somewhere!

I never said that the unit wasn't the best, etc. But please explain to me why I get better temps with the stock HSF? No need to be a dick about it btw. Read the whole thread before flaming.

Must be the fan, you should feel air moving through even at Lo setting. You should get better temps than stock. I guesstimate your idle should be 28-30C at stock speed with Tuniq. Definetly RMA it and give us an update pls.

On topic, just tell them the base is stuck on the board, they might not even care if it's missing. Or they can send the new one minus the base.;)

If you dont feel any air that its most likely just the fan, so throw in a different 120x25mm fan and then you'll feel some air.

You can try putting a piece of paper near the fins of the TT120. One side should suck the paper while the other side blows it. You can also use the rheostat that came with the TT120 and crank it up to full, you will hear it. Are you sure you have it connected properly? Maybe you can take a pic for us with the wiring and everything.

I am not trying to bash you at all, I was just suprised at your temps. I would love for my temps to be as low as yours. These e4300 run hot.

What's the highest core temps these things can handle?

the safe limit is 70C but you should never really go over 65C, unless you don't care about your stuff lasting very long.

just FYI, on my overclocked E6400 (3.13ghz, voltage is set to 1.4625 in BIOS, it reads 1.44 on CPU-Z and speedfan), my idle temps are 24-28C and under stress testing I never get over 58C, gaming or typical use sees core temps of 45-50C.

make sure you are using an accurate monitoring utility to measure core temps, you may be looking at a reading which is not for the cores.

As the prior poster said, try a different 120mm fan in the tower, it is easy to change. (I used that tower for awhile on a quad and put in a silverstone fan that ran quieter at max speed.) There's no need to remove and rma the whole tower just for that. Plenty of testing and reviews are available on the net to show that the TT is as good as any air cooler you are going to find.

Your comparative results are probably demonstrating that the TT with no fan performs as well as the stock heatsink with a fan.

If you insist on the rma it should not require excessive force to just pull the backplate off. With the mobo removed just brace with one hand so the board doesn't bend and pry of the plate from one end. You can remove the leftover sticky padding with careful use of a razor blade.

Thing is... the fan is fine. Spins at 2000rpm and moves air when outside of the Tuniq. I did check it with a piece of paper to see if it moved on the exhaust side and had no luck. I was able to remove the backplate last night so it's already on the way back to Newegg and I will try something different. I was looking at the Thermalright Ultima-90 ES... but they have no release date >.> We'll have to wait and see.

Those temps sound pretty good- I'm thinking I have issues with mine as my temps are nowhere near what you're reporting:

E6400 @ 1.375Vcore, 3.16GHz, idle around 46C, load at 68C running Orthos, all monitored by TAT. I only see maybe a 1-2C difference between the fan running full silent and full speed.

I would LOVE to see the temps you have and I'm not being sarcastic. :)

Those temps sound pretty good- I'm thinking I have issues with mine as my temps are nowhere near what you're reporting:

E6400 @ 1.375Vcore, 3.16GHz, idle around 46C, load at 68C running Orthos, all monitored by TAT. I only see maybe a 1-2C difference between the fan running full silent and full speed.

I would LOVE to see the temps you have and I'm not being sarcastic. :)

Im suprised by your temps! Most the post I have seen with a E6xxx series has been low 30s-high 40s.

Im suprised by your temps! Most the post I have seen with a E6xxx series has been low 30s-high 40s.

Yeah, I have to tear it down and check stuff to make sure the heatsink is making proper contact w/ the CPU. It's way higher than I'd expect.

Even with the crappy high temps, I know that it is dissipating heat- it drops from the load to the idle temp in literally a second or two after I terminate orthos.

Yeah, I have to tear it down and check stuff to make sure the heatsink is making proper contact w/ the CPU. It's way higher than I'd expect.

Even with the crappy high temps, I know that it is dissipating heat- it drops from the load to the idle temp in literally a second or two after I terminate orthos.
FYI- TAT reads ~15C high on non-intel chipset mobo's. use coretemp, speedfan, everest ultimate, these all display the same temp on mine and it's significantly lower than what TAT displays.

FYI- TAT reads ~15C high on non-intel chipset mobo's. use coretemp, speedfan, everest ultimate, these all display the same temp on mine and it's significantly lower than what TAT displays.

Sorry, I didn't mention it- I'm running an Intel 975XBX2 BadAxe2 MB. Sounds like TAT is just fine on my MB- I'll double-check w/ coretemp and everest.

I thought it was the other way around when stuff is OC'ed- people are saying that speedfan and everest report weird temps when volts are changed and stuff is OC'ed.

I'd rather run conservative and cool than too hot- this system I do care if I screw stuff up. This OC was more for fun than anything else, but I def. need to make sure my Tuniq is working properly.

I'll build another system just to OC- I'm waiting to see what they say about the 4400- if the price drops a ton on the 6600, I'll swap to a 6600 to run in this rig and then really try to OC my 6400.

I'm in the same boat as the OP - wanting to RMA my Tuniq which is doing a horrid job cooling my core 2 duo.

I don't know what the problem is. My temps are pretty pathetic and I've tried everything. I have a Stacker 830 and it's got room for 9 fans and my temps are worse than my brothers Zalman 9500LED in a P180 (my old case mind you) with one intake and 2 exhust! :confused: His temps are 54 load using Orthos oced 3.2 @ 1.406 (E6300)

Heres my set up. 3 fans blowing in from the side. 2 blowing in the from the front. 1 on the top as an exhaust and 1 at the rear as an exhaust. Tuniq also comes with a fan so that's what? 3+2+1+1+1 = 8 fans and my temps are worse.
With this set up I get 59 load on both cores (sometimes as high as 62 and low as 57) using Orthos. It's OCed to 3.4 @ 1.4v

Thought maybe I have bad pressure or something so I gut the system. Left only two fans in. 1 rear exhaust and the tuniq fan. Same load temps. 59/62. I went ahead and reseated it (cleaning the paste and everything - I've done it like 6 times already trying to get it lower) and no difference. Same temps. My temps didn't even fall like people say they do when AS5 sets in after a couple of weeks :(

I wouldn't mind these temps if they were from the stock cooler but a $60 machine with the fan at the highest RPM is pretty bad.
The problem either lies in the E6600 or the Tuniq Tower. I've read many stories regarding these two mates having same problems. Maybe both aren't flat? Who knows. At least an RMA can kill one option and the guilty party is left.

OP - How'd the RMA go. What's the process? I already contacted them through email and pretty quick replys. Wants me to send him pictures of my temps and what others are getting. HA. What do you need to include? Just the heatsink + backplate or everything including manuals and orginal box? Let us know how smooth it went.

Back