help my power supply blew up

HiDDeN sTaSh

Limp Gawd
Alright i have a RAIDMAX 350w Power supply i had it in my computer for under a month brand new and one day after it had been off for a couple hours i turned it on and it litarlly lit up like a christmas tree, now it did nothing to any of my hardware everything had to of been hooked up right cuz it had been on a couple of hours before this happened

Can someone tell me why this happened?

Because it was a defective unit, which is probably about the norm for a RadMax power supply. You couldn't pay me to stick one of those things in my rigs....

Make sure you get some recommendations on your next purchase. If you state your price range we'll give you a couple of good ones to select from.

Also remember you get what you pay for 99% of the time with psu's ;)

Glad your rig went unharmed btw.

One of my relatives just brought his pc over because it won't boot up. I looked at the psu; it was a generic "eagle" brand (I believe deer manufactures them), didn't even attempt to turn it on, took it out, popped in my pcp&c, and the pc worked. Just for kicks I measured the voltages with the multimeter....the 5v line was at 6.8, the 12v line was @ 14 something and the 3.3v line was @ 4.3....I can post pics of the multimeter later on for kicks...

Took out his hard drive too.

Let this be a lesson to NOT BUY GENERIC POWER SUPPLIES!!!! AVOID THEM LIKE THE PLAGUE!!!!!!

It never ceases to amaze me that people will drop 3k on a system and try to power it with the 200 watt psu that came with their ultra-atomic-demon-lazer-133t case. The case and psu are by far the two most underappreciated and overlooked componets in computers. By far.

yeah thanks ppl.. i bought it from a friend who bought it for his computer but he sold it off before he could use it so he sold it to me for 15 bucks i thought i was gettin a good deal guess not lol anyways im now forced to use my 200 watt no name for awhile lol

HiDDeN sTaSh said:
ohhhhhhh, can you tell me what i can get for $40-50 and at least 350 watts?
Look at some Super Flowers... Fortron and Sparkle have some nice ones that cheap i think...

HiDDeN sTaSh said:
ohhhhhhh, can you tell me what i can get for $40-50 and at least 350 watts?
I got the Enermax 365AX-VE for 54 Euro.

for that budget, fortrons are the best choice.. one rule of thumb that I always remember, the heavier the better.

DO NOT BUY A PSU FROM THE FOLLOWING COMPANIES !!!!!!!

Aspire, Demon, Deer, Powmax, Power-Up, Eagle, X-superalien, Raidmax, L&C, Power-Man, Allied, Achieve, Codegen, Antec Smartpower (trupowers are fine), MGE, PCMICS, Allied, JustPC, InWin, E-power (except Tagan series), X-treme, Dynapower, Coolmax, Kingwin, Linkworld, low end Thermaltakes, Turbo, Aerocool, Devanni.

Why is PowerMan bad? It's one of the brands from Fortron-Source, which has a very good reputation. AFAIK, this company's brands also include Sparkle, Aopen (PSUs only), Powertech, PowerQ, Trend, Hi-Q, and Casedge.

Powerman is really a fotron source brand? That doesnt make sense....I had a 250w powerman that was light as hell (came with one of my cases) and had like 3 molex connectors...DEFINETLEY not up to par quality wise or weight wise with the fortorn 300w i just slapped into one of my relatives machines...I'd stay away from them

Can I see a source proving that powerman is oem'd by fortron?

I go through a lot of PSU, due to a rather dirty environment. I come to like the Raidmax 350's, at that price I don't care so much when they blow. I usually order 10-packs. Seing those $99 supplies go up in smoke is much more painfull, and just as frequent.

_ said:
君のじんせいは何の意味だ?
You shouldn't have a question mark at the end, incorrect.

contrary to what above man said... I;ve NEVER EVER EVER had ANY problems with AOpen power supplies...

QwertyJuan

as mentioned the vast majority of AOpen PSUs are in fact FSP Group (Fortron source\sparkle power)

however, its naive to think they (and others) dont make more than one quality level of PSUs (and brand them) just because someone makes a given supply isnt an indicator of overall quality for all their supplies

HiDDeN sTaSh said:
Can someone tell me why this happened?
root cause substandard components, also likely overloaded on one of the rails
trigger mechanism, a surge or brownout from the outlet

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=779582&highlight=jack

Back