[HELP!] MSI K8N Neo4 SLI is detecting my SATA HD as IDE

Sandbox Magician

Limp Gawd
Right now I'm using my Maxtor 5400RPM 30GB IDE as a boot drive, because I just built the system in my sig and my SATA HD was the last item to arrive. I just got the hard drive today, and I'm having a problem getting my motherboard to recognize the drive. It's a Hitachi 80GB 7200RPM SATA-II hard drive.

First, I connected it to the SATA 1 slot on the motherboard. Booted up the computer and went into BIOS... I enabled the SATA controller and restarted and in the BIOS it displayed the model number of my drive, but it displayed it under the IDE third master channel? I booted to windows and the "detected new hardware" balloon popped up, but it said found new IDE channel and then found new IDE disk drive. I looked in device manager and the model number of my drive was under Disk Drives, and in properties it said this device is working properly, but in the details tab under Device ID it still saying IDE . I looked in My Computer, and no new drive letter was there.

I then tried connecting my hard drive to the SATA 2 spot, and when I booted up it displayed it under the fifth master IDE channel! Same thing with SATA slots #3-6.

WTF?

Okay, the only combination that worked was putting it in SATA slot #5 and using the legacy power adapter instead of the SATA power connector. Now it isn't showing up on any of the IDE channels, but it still isn't showing up under My Computer.

This is the first SATA hard drive I've ever set up. Basically the first hard drive I set up period. All I did to get this system to boot was swap my old IDE HD from my old system into here and it booted, so I'm not sure how to setup an OEM drive.

The drive shows up in my BIOS, but under the boot drive order it shows up as an SCSI drive now. When I put the hitachi drive as the first priority in the boot order it says that the drive is unaccessable and to put in a disk. I put in this f_tool floppy disk I downloaded off of the Hitachi website but it says loading PC DOS and just sits there and does nothing. What do I do in order to get this drive up and running?

Did you load the SATA drivers into Windows?
When doing a fresh install you will be prompted to hit F-6 to load the drivers.
Not sure if you can load the drivers on an old installation. Maybe see if they can be loaded by doing a repair install?

I don't think this is a problem. I think what it is doing is just IDE emulation so that way you don't have to keep a floppy disk around to install windows. You could always try the I SATA controller but you might need to have the Floppy ready for Windows install.

IDE isn't a type of drive, it stands for Integrated Drive Electronics and eventually turned into ATA or Advanced Technology Attachment. That can be broken into pata (parallel) and sata (serial) so essentially an sata drive is an "IDE" drive.

Shoot, were we supposed to? I didn't have a floppy at the time of install and still don't; were we supposed to load it then? I thought it was only if I was going to use onboard RAID.

Thanks.

yeah i had the same problem with a SIS655 NB board. only the second time i had used SATA, and on the I875, it autoloaded the raid drivers so i figured it would do it too. But if it is recognized in the POST, but not in Windows, then just swipe a floppy too and load the drivers off your MOBO CD (and if you dont have that they are on the MSI website)

Ah, I see what you're saying now. I just noticed in POST that the drive is recognized as 300GB LBA ATA 133. But then again I don't have a floppy, and Maxotr doesn't have any drivers for the DM10s. Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Dr. X is completely correct about the IDE definition and the SATA emulation. Those boards have SATA drivers flashed into the BIOS so that when you install your OS there is no need for a floppy to use your brand new drives. That's why you see all these boards coming out with 1MB BIOS chips, 'cause I couldn't see any reason for it until I read up.

Mine shows both of my SATA's on the IDE list in the bios. It's what it's supposed to do. Just configure your hdd boot order to boot from the one you want it to (the one with your primary system partition or OS on it).

I tried that, but it just showed it as an IDE drive and wasn't showing up in windows or in fdisk. What I had to do to get it to work was disconnect my IDE ATA maxtor hard drive from the mobo, set my cd-rom to first boot priority, and put my winxp disc in and hit F6 to load the SATA RAID drivers (even though I'm not using RAID). From the winxp setup it read my sata drive and I partitioned/formatted there. Now it's not showing up as an IDE drive at all and all is well.

Back