Help me with Ubiquiti

ChRoNo16

[H]ard|Gawd
So I am moving in a few weeks. the new setup is great because I will have my own office.

it sucks because I can only run wires in the office.

I have heard unifi AP's are great, I just dont know what I need to get started.

My gigabit switch is NOT PoE so I will need help choosing an adapter that doesnt cost a fortune.

and one AP. Most devices I own are Wireless G, idk what our iphone 6s has for a wifi adapter.

Whole apartment is like 1,000 sq foot so I think one AP will work just fine.

Just get the ER-Lite 3 and the Unifi AP AC Lite. It should work well for almost any device. The access point come with a PoE adapter.

The edge lite will not control the access point but it is a quality firewall that will not limit your connection. Older routers can cause bandwidth issues.

You will be fine with one AP -- i have a pair of ac pro's (one plugged into an edgeswitch poe and one on wireless uplink with an injector plugged into the wall, as mentioned it came with the ap). I use wired in my home lab as well.

Looking at swapping out my er-lite as i need better openvpn performance, but it works just fine and all items can be managed from one place, albeit different windows as the er-lite doesn't jive with the control software for the switch/aps.

And, the software isn't too hard to setup. I just have 1 AP in my place, and can control it from anywhere. And, like the others said, they come with a PoE injector, so you don't need a PoE switch. Just run a cable to the injector, and another one to the AP. Nice and easy. I've had mine for a while, and no issues with it. Well, unless I'm messing up the conifg, but that's me, and not the AP. :)

You didn't say you were getting a new router also, but if you are then you should consider a USG instead of an ER-Lite simply because the USG integrates with the unifi controller.

Instead of having two interfaces to control wifi and router, you'd have one.

I have an AC Lite and pretty much every device in my house is wireless, it handles everything without a problem. I also don't have a PoE capable switch but the AC Lite access point comes with a PoE injector so you don't really need a PoE switch.

My only compaint about the Ubiquiti access point is that the access points themselves do not have a web management interface. You have to run the management software on a separate device. I run mine on a Raspberry Pi 2, but I know that you can manage it with an iOS app too.

Also worth mentioning is that the Ubiquiti software is pretty nice, and I can see that it would be very convenient if you had ALL Ubiquiti hardware. (Switch, Firewall, Access Point).

I just cannot afford to replace the router and all right now, I jsut need great wifi range because I cannot run cables through the new apartment. it just wont work.

Sorry, I did not intend to recommend you to replace all your networking hardware.

A standalone Ubiquiti access point will work great. But you just need to consider what you're going to run the management software on.

I just cannot afford to replace the router and all right now, I jsut need great wifi range because I cannot run cables through the new apartment. it just wont work.

I just did almost the same thing at our office. We used a Unifi AC Lite, the software ran from any laptop/computer. Took a bit to figure out the software and get into the config options, but once that hurdle was crossed it wasn't any more difficult than any other router/AP. We don't have "management software" running 24/7 - once we set it up it's fine stand alone, we just don't get logging and such.

It does come with a POE injector in the box.

*EDIT* -- seems like once we got the management tool to get the device IP, on the Lite, the config was web based from the AP, but I may be mis-remembering. It was a chore to figure out how to get into the config, most of the online advice and How-Tos were assuming remote access over a few layers of security, which isn't the case for being on the local LAN. Once I stumbled through that part though, it was easy and I kicked myself for having trouble in the first place.

Last edited:
Sorry, I did not intend to recommend you to replace all your networking hardware.

A standalone Ubiquiti access point will work great. But you just need to consider what you're going to run the management software on.

Oh no, its cool- just saying I gotta do this in steps im not rich- but for now Ill get an access point, I mostly need a longer range than most home routers will provide.

I just did almost the same thing at our office. We used a Unifi AC Lite, the software ran from any laptop/computer. Took a bit to figure out the software and get into the config options, but once that hurdle was crossed it wasn't any more difficult than any other router/AP. We don't have "management software" running 24/7 - once we set it up it's fine stand alone, we just don't get logging and such.

It does come with a POE injector in the box.

*EDIT* -- seems like once we got the management tool to get the device IP, on the Lite, the config was web based from the AP, but I may be mis-remembering. It was a chore to figure out how to get into the config, most of the online advice and How-Tos were assuming remote access over a few layers of security, which isn't the case for being on the local LAN. Once I stumbled through that part though, it was easy and I kicked myself for having trouble in the first place.

Thank you for letting me know, I wont be so worried if its a little difficult at first then. I used to run a class A (10.0.0.0) address scheme. but these days I just do the standard.

Back