Help me with my wild 5800x please

Bonham

n00b
Greetings, I have just inaugurated a new pc with a Ryzen 5800x (stock settings, I haven't changed anything). The Temperatures and the noise that I get from the liquid cooling are making me not happy at all. I have read that this processor is wild and hot, But I was wondering if I could do something either with the cooling or the processor settings, but the thing is that I am a complete ignorant in this, and I don't want to either destroy the processor or ending with one that doesn't give me the performance I paid for. My other components:

https://www.pccomponentes.com/msi-mpg-x570-gaming-plus
https://www.pccomponentes.com/cooler-master-masterliquid-ml360r-rgb
https://www.pccomponentes.com/corsair-vengeance-rgb-pro-ddr4-3600-pc4-28800-32gb-4x8gb-cl18
https://www.pccomponentes.com/seasonic-focus-gx-750-750w-80-plus-gold-modular

1) I used cinebench R23.200 and I got 15.193 Multicore and 1.581 SIngle Core. I reached 90º. Regardless of the heat, is that performance ok or did it throttle due to temps?

2) The rpm of the pump of the cooling is almost stable at 2410rpm. Is this too little? that is the official value that I have found in the cooler master webpage, but Could I get it higher through bios or software without any problems?

3) I have watched a video of a guy saying that this problem could get fixed altering the PPT down to 120, the TDC to 85, and the EDC to 130 and he also mentioned something about PBO (I Hace 0 knowledge about all those weird letters) He said that he only lost max 5% in performance. My rig idles at 50-55 with spikes up to 65º with doing very little. With videogames I can get up to 73º-75º and the fan noise is to shoot myself in the head.

The temps are definitely higher than they should be. My 5800x is currently under 50% load (8 instances of a distributed computing program) and running 73C with an Enermax Liqmax III 240mm AIO. At idle it runs around 33C-35C. This is also running PBO with motherboard limits instead of CPU limits so it will use up more electricity and put out more heat. I do have all case fans and AIO fans running 100% because the noise doesn't bother me but fans ramping up and down do bother me a lot.

I recommend you remount the block on the CPU. When removing it make sure to check that thermal goop application is even across the heatspreader on the CPU. Also make sure you pulled off any thin plastic covering from the bottom of the waterblock. Most heatsinks and waterblocks have a thin plastic lining on the bottom to protect them from damage during shipping. You'd be surprised how many people don't realize these are there or forget to remove them before mounting the waterblock or heatsink. Some of them can be difficult to see if you're not specifically looking for them.

Run PBO advanced and limit the temp to 80c. Undervolt -100mv and check scores. Should be tamed much better.

that ^^if its on auto now, go manual and lower the voltage a bit. make sure that the pump is set to extreme or performance of whatever the top speed is called.
Run PBO advanced and limit the temp to 80c. Undervolt -100mv and check scores. Should be tamed much better.
was gonna suggest that but i keep getting told im doing it wrong. good to know i wasnt...

that ^^if its on auto now, go manual and lower the voltage a bit. make sure that the pump is set to extreme or performance of whatever the top speed is called.

was gonna suggest that but i keep getting told im doing it wrong. good to know i wasnt...

Honestly the results really depend on the CPU and the motherboard VRM. Sometimes PBO adjustments can reduce performance and in that case just an undervolt would work. The Zen 3 chips are wildly different as far as binning.

EDIT: Also the BIOS has an effect on the performance as well. I see that Gigabyte boards work better with the PBO adjustments. Asrock seems to work better with just an undervolt. MSI, I have no clue.

Greetings, I have just inaugurated a new pc with a Ryzen 5800x (stock settings, I haven't changed anything). The Temperatures and the noise that I get from the liquid cooling are making me not happy at all. I have read that this processor is wild and hot, But I was wondering if I could do something either with the cooling or the processor settings, but the thing is that I am a complete ignorant in this, and I don't want to either destroy the processor or ending with one that doesn't give me the performance I paid for. My other components:

https://www.pccomponentes.com/msi-mpg-x570-gaming-plus
https://www.pccomponentes.com/cooler-master-masterliquid-ml360r-rgb
https://www.pccomponentes.com/corsair-vengeance-rgb-pro-ddr4-3600-pc4-28800-32gb-4x8gb-cl18
https://www.pccomponentes.com/seasonic-focus-gx-750-750w-80-plus-gold-modular

1) I used cinebench R23.200 and I got 15.193 Multicore and 1.581 SIngle Core. I reached 90º. Regardless of the heat, is that performance ok or did it throttle due to temps?

2) The rpm of the pump of the cooling is almost stable at 2410rpm. Is this too little? that is the official value that I have found in the cooler master webpage, but Could I get it higher through bios or software without any problems?

3) I have watched a video of a guy saying that this problem could get fixed altering the PPT down to 120, the TDC to 85, and the EDC to 130 and he also mentioned something about PBO (I Hace 0 knowledge about all those weird letters) He said that he only lost max 5% in performance. My rig idles at 50-55 with spikes up to 65º with doing very little. With videogames I can get up to 73º-75º and the fan noise is to shoot myself in the head.
I would reinstall the cooler. sounds like it doesnt have good contact with the CPU.

Also double check if there is a performance mode with that cooler. I run a 5800x with an NZXT Kraken 360 and my temps were really high until I enabled performance mode...

EDIT: I run mine at 4.6 with 1.2 volts. Idle is around 30C, load is about 75C.

If the fans are spinning up when they should, then I would try to remount the cooler. I don't own one myself, but I setup a 5800X for a family member with a 280mm AIO (EVGA) and it got to around 73 after one run of Cinebench R20 with a 4.7GHz/1.3V static OC. It would have probably climbed up to around 80 if I kept looping it. [That OC was not 100% stable for the record - left it stock because it didn't seem like there was enough headroom to make it worthwhile]

If the fans are spinning up when they should, then I would try to remount the cooler. I don't own one myself, but I setup a 5800X for a family member with a 280mm AIO (EVGA) and it got to around 73 after one run of Cinebench R20 with a 4.7GHz/1.3V static OC. It would have probably climbed up to around 80 if I kept looping it. [That OC was not 100% stable for the record - left it stock because it didn't seem like there was enough headroom to make it worthwhile]
Ok now I have another thing in mind: the fans from the air cooling are hanging from the top of the case (inside the case) and they are bringing air from outside the case into it. Is that ok? I bought this pc custom-built, and I am reading in other forums that it should be the other way around: the fans being inside the case, they should be pumping the air out of the case.

Although there are other people who say that coming from the ceiling, it is better to get cool air from the outside in through the radiator inside the case than hotter air out.

Ok now I have another thing in mind: the fans from the air cooling are hanging from the top of the case (inside the case) and they are bringing air from outside the case into it. Is that ok? I bought this pc custom-built, and I am reading in other forums that it should be the other way around: the fans being inside the case, they should be pumping the air out of the case.

Although there are other people who say that coming from the ceiling, it is better to get cool air from the outside in through the radiator inside the case than hotter air out.
I would start with remounting the cooler. Even with unoptimized airflow----you shouldn't be hitting 90C in Cinibench with a 360 RAD on a 5800x.

If things don't improve from a remount, then something is very wrong.

Do you have any other coolers to test?

If the radiator is setup as an exhaust, your CPU runs warmer, but your GPU and other components run cooler. Which way is better overall is case specific.

Don't worry about whether the AIO fans are pushing air into the case or pulling air out of the case. Read my first reply to your post and do what I suggested there. Unless your ambient temp is 40C-50C your temps are too high and the problem is likely a bad mount of the AIO's waterblock. My 5800x is using more electricity and generating more heat than your CPU does at stock and my 240mm AIO is doing a much, much better job of keeping my CPU cool.

Please give ClockTuner Ryzen a try.
I've used it so far on a 3600x, 5800x and a 5900x and I've been very happy with the temperature results in all 3 cases. Generally 10-20c drops with performance gains over stock.

https://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/clocktuner-2-1-for-ryzen-(ctr)-guide,1.html
So you got more performance underclocking? What values did you alter, and what numbers did you use?
I've used it so far on a 3600x, 5800x and a 5900x and I've been very happy with the temperature results in all 3 cases. Generally 10-20c drops with performance gains over stock.

https://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/clocktuner-2-1-for-ryzen-(ctr)-guide,1.html
A friend has recommended me to install the chipset drivers... I have had a long numbers of pcs throughout my life (all intel) and I have never installed chipset drivers, processor drivers or anything like that... is it needed for the Ryzen 7 5800x? I have looked around and I have seen someone reporting worse performance in games after installing the chipset drivers, and other people saying that if you use your AMD motherboard with an nvidia card (my case) you will get microstuttering. What do you think?

So you got more performance underclocking? What values did you alter, and what numbers did you use?

A friend has recommended me to install the chipset drivers... I have had a long numbers of pcs throughout my life (all intel) and I have never installed chipset drivers, processor drivers or anything like that... is it needed for the Ryzen 7 5800x? I have looked around and I have seen someone reporting worse performance in games after installing the chipset drivers, and other people saying that if you use your AMD motherboard with an nvidia card (my case) you will get microstuttering. What do you think?

Undervolting is the more appropriate term, but yeah. Altering values isnt needed, you download the program and make sure you meet all the prerequisites, then just hit button to do the diagnostic step, hit the tune button, hit button to save profiles, and hit button to apply profiles. I would install chipset.

yes, install the chipset drivers AND the newest bios AND newest windows updates that they require.

Back