Help me with CrystalDiskInfo for my HD's

dar124

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm finally getting around to setting up my IP camera to record to my WHS 2011 server (instead of just being able to watch a "live view"). I had to mess around to fit another HD into the server case. And of course that fairly simple task turns into months with me troubleshooting a bad PSU and motherboard in my old desktop PC, building a new desktop PC, upgrading my server's HD to a SSD along the way.

So ... I've got these 4 HD's that I'm considering using to record to from my IP camera. But I'd like to get some [H] opinions on them. I realize that all 4 are pretty old disks. I figured that CrystalDiskInfo would be a good way to get info on them. But I'm not all that familiar with the info that CrystalDisk gives. So would one of these be better than the others, are they all no good, etc. I'd appreceiate any info I could get on them.

Thanks in advance.

29691278374_831199f7df_c.jpg

29691030803_c532175a38_c.jpg

29691278184_2e953cc354_b.jpg

29691030753_9461c4447c_b.jpg

They all look fine.

Thanks drescherjm!!! Like I said I wasn't sure about most of the info that CrystalDisk gave me, so I appreciate the info. I did wonder about the amount of "power on hours" for the drives, that number seemed high, but I don't have much to compare it to, so I wasn't sure.

The 2nd screen shot down (WDC WD1600HLFS-75G6U1) is labeled as an "Enterprise Drive" so I'd think that would have a decent amount of life left in it and maybe be a bit more rugged?? If all 4 of the drives are good / comparable then I'll probably use the Enterprise Drive in the 2nd screen shot. It shows as 10,000 RPM, which I suppose is also a benefit??

I did wonder about the amount of "power on hours" for the drives, that number seemed high

I have drives here at work with 73 thousand power on hours.

Only a major problem till you get a hard drive like this (decommissioned from my server 2 years ago).

2016_10_15_10_55_21_Downloading_File_65980_Crys.png

3 impoetant i look at is 05 c5 and c6 if there is anything beside 0's in raw value i dont use the disk.

3 impoetant i look at is 05 c5 and c6 if there is anything beside 0's in raw value i dont use the disk.

that is good to know.
this is my oldest Samsung drive and looks decent I guess,
samsung-f4-2tb-oldest.jpg

Ditto to that. Any slight problems with the drive and SMART will indicate a caution in Crystal Disk Info or at worst (my example) will report the drive as Bad and failing/aka need immediate replacement.

Thanks for all the info!!! I did have a 5th spare disk that showed up as "bad" when I ran CrystalDisk on it. So it was obvious that it wasn't any good, and I just got rid of it. It's good to know that these other 4 disks are all good.

Back