Help me with a final exam review

MOD Please Move Post to Appropriate Forum!

So next week I have a final exam for a WAN class I'm taking, and I've got a 5 page review to study. Below are some questions I'm having trouble with. I either can't find the answer, or I'm just not sure if my answer is correct. See if you guys can help me out... Thanks!

// EDIT: // Check my answers! (correct me if I'm wrong)

1: In the global configuration command ip route 2.0.0.0 255.0.0.0 1.0.0.0 5, what does the last number "5" stand for?
-> I think this is reference to the administrative distance

2: ___BLANK____ is important information in the response you must pay attention to after issuing a ping command?
-> some sort of ack to sending and receiving of pings, maybe the exclamation point ! ..... could also be the time it takes when you send a ping command, like 60ms for example

3: A port number is used by the Layer 4 protocol to designate which device is sending the packet.
True or False?
-> false, ports numbers are important on layer 4, but I think destination port is more important for identifying the service (ex. ftp), and not used to identify the sender, but MAC and IP don't operate on this layer from what I understand, only TCP, UDP and other transport protocols

4: What factors impact the time required to reroute traffic using Layer 3 routing?
-> this question doesn't make since, is there another layer that does routing? I know switching is layer 2. that said, I would time, or hop count, distance and direction (destination) like normal routing

5: The three most common dynamic routing protocols are?
-> RIP, OSPF, EIGRP

6: How would you use the access list entry(s) to deny DNS on port 53?
-> don't know ACL's very well

7:What does the following access list allow?
access-list 1 permit 204.211.19.162 0.0.0.0
-> permitting that IP to access something, maybe the host or a server of some kind (again, don't know ACL's very well yet)

8: The SONET level that carries 155Mbps of information is the?
-> STM-1/Level 1..... also found STS-3C/OC-3c

9: List the parameters used to define a Frame Relay circuit?
-> No idea!

10: ___BLANK____ has a limited version of the Cisco IOS software? -> guessing this is a simulator question?
-> Packet Tracer, it's the only simulator app we've been using in class and the labs seem to be made for, but we also have a CCNA 640-802 simulator that came with our books.
( http://www.ciscopress.com/bookstore/product.asp?isbn=9781587202162 )

Last edited:
agree with above, also how about you post what you think the answers are. 1/2 of those at the very least you can find by a simple search. ie sonnet 155Mbps, dynamic routing protocols.

You just failed at posting, you put this in the pictures gallery....

Haha. Wow........... Yeah, that's a fail on my part.

(But, in my defense, I posted this at 3am and I'd been up since the morning before, plus I was browsing the gallery, but obviously did not pay attention to what part of the forum I was in. - I've also been hardcore studying for my CCENT since Friday...)

As for the second comment, I will update the post to reflect my answers to the questions I think I know, and see if they're correct. I've had to do some research for this review because I can't remember everything, but it's difficult to find consistent information online.

First off I don't ever like just giving people answers as that doesn't actually help them. Don't do it in person, won't do it online. i'll let you know the ones that are correct or that I am pretty sure are correct, the rest I'll give you a direction to look.

MOD Please Move Post to Appropriate Forum!

So next week I have a final exam for a WAN class I'm taking, and I've got a 5 page review to study. Below are some questions I'm having trouble with. I either can't find the answer, or I'm just not sure if my answer is correct. See if you guys can help me out... Thanks!

// EDIT: // Check my answers! (correct me if I'm wrong)

1: In the global configuration command ip route 2.0.0.0 255.0.0.0 1.0.0.0 5, what does the last number "5" stand for?
-> I think this is reference to the administrative distance

Correct, in windows that would be called metric. it is used to select the best path for routing.

2: ___BLANK____ is important information in the response you must pay attention to after issuing a ping command?
-> some sort of ack to sending and receiving of pings, maybe the exclamation point ! ..... could also be the time it takes when you send a ping command, like 60ms for example

you seem to be somewhat all over for this answer. stop and think what you get back from using the command ping and what it all means. Why do you use the ping command? what part of the response gives you what you are looking for?

3: A port number is used by the Layer 4 protocol to designate which device is sending the packet.
True or False?
-> false, ports numbers are important on layer 4, but I think destination port is more important for identifying the service (ex. ftp), and not used to identify the sender, but MAC and IP don't operate on this layer from what I understand, only TCP, UDP and other transport protocols

Correct, the port doesn't tell you the sender it tells you the service

4: What factors impact the time required to reroute traffic using Layer 3 routing?
-> this question doesn't make since, is there another layer that does routing? I know switching is layer 2. that said, I would time, or hop count, distance and direction (destination) like normal routing

Look at your OSI layers. which layer does routing? Which one does switching?

5: The three most common dynamic routing protocols are?
-> RIP, OSPF, EIGRP

correct

6: How would you use the access list entry(s) to deny DNS on port 53?
-> don't know ACL's very well

7:What does the following access list allow?
access-list 1 permit 204.211.19.162 0.0.0.0
-> permitting that IP to access something, maybe the host or a server of some kind (again, don't know ACL's very well yet)

Look up some stuff on access list then. Yes you are permitting access. But look at the command to see what you are passing it to see what the 204.211.19.162 and 0.0.0.0 stand for.

8: The SONET level that carries 155Mbps of information is the?
-> STM-1/Level 1..... also found STS-3C/OC-3c

I would think they are looking for the OC-3 for this. As that is the speed you get from an OC-3

9: List the parameters used to define a Frame Relay circuit?
-> No idea!

look up how to configure a frame relay circuit.

10: ___BLANK____ has a limited version of the Cisco IOS software? -> guessing this is a simulator question?
-> Packet Tracer, it's the only simulator app we've been using in class and the labs seem to be made for, but we also have a CCNA 640-802 simulator that came with our books.
( http://www.ciscopress.com/bookstore/product.asp?isbn=9781587202162 )

This one I'll give you. it would be talking about the simulator program. The simulator gives you a watered down version of the IOS than what you would have on an actual switch or router.

1. It's the administrative distance, not the metric...
2. packet loss and/or latency
3. false, the IP address identifies the end host
4. this would generally depend on the convergence speed of the underlying IGP and the timers such as hello and hold-down, etc
5. sounds good to me if you are referring to interior gateway protocols
6. access-list 101 deny udp any any eq 53
7. permits traffic with a source address of 204.211.19.162
8. OC-3 circuit
9. You would need a DLCI and an IP address at a minumum
10. Packet tracer I guess...

Back