help me w/ my moral dilemma

Soymilk

[H]ard|Gawd
i havent asked this person yet, but i'm assuming that he'll agree since he'll get a performance boost.

the quick and dirty version: should i trade someone my 2x1gb corsair value ram for his 2x1gb ocz gold pc4000 (straight trade, without telling him how much my ram costed me)

the explained version (some backstory):

this guy is an acquaintance of a friend. not a friends friend, just a friends acquaintance. i was bored, and saw on his xanga that he had recently built a new computer. i was looking at the specs etc, and i was fairly impressed, its got some good stuff in it (including 2x1gb of ocz gold ddr500).

so im looking at his next posts, and i see he posted pictures of his 3dmark score, with a couple instances of cpu-z open showing the main page and the memory page. i look at the memory page to see what he's running his ram at, and it's at 3-4-4-8 201.5mhz!!! (no clue y the fsb is 201.5, but it is) i shit you not. i literally cried out in shock when i saw it.

so heres what im thinking. if i told him that my ram runs faster than his (its stock 3-3-3-8), and said that the reason was that i wanted his cooler looking ram (the heatspreaders *are* pretty cool :p) cuz i have a windowed comp sitting on my desk, and i didnt think about that when i bought my ram a while ago, i could probably convince him to trade with me (could convince him mine is faster by telling him to run the sandra bandwidth benchmark, and showing him the difference between his and mine). should i go for it?

You Sir, will burn in Hell for that...prolly should even get lightly singed just for thinking it... :eek:

explain to him that he has ram meant for overclocking, and that he doesn't appear to be utilizing it properly ;)

Ask him if he overclockz0rz. If he gives a reply that is mildly negative, harden your heart, and do what's needed for the good of your overclocking genes. That man shouldn't spend money for the sake of spending money and having large numbers on his RAM. Teach him what his RAM does, or put it to good use.

So, you plan on deceiving him by giving him misinformation so you receive the better outcome? Yeah, I'd say that's pretty unethical.

yeah, pretty unethical.
first off if the guy u want to trade with has any brains whatsoever he would prolly figure something is up since u want to trade "faster ram" for his ram straight up with no compensation from either party.

i would just help him out and tell him what he really has.

hmm. i guess im gonna try explaining to him that he has ram thats meant for overclocking, but his mobo cant go as fast as his ram can (he has some shitty mobo, his max fsb is like 240), and see if he's willing to trade w/ some compensation.

Back