Help me understand "De-Lidding" Haswell processors

Theultimateeye

Limp Gawd
So i just picked up a 4770k. I don't even know if it's a bad chip, average chip, or good chip. I do know there are major heat problems with these processors. I'll be using my Phanteks cooler which i still don't think will be enough to get around 4.5ghz which is my goal.
Now i've heard (and watched videos) of people taking the lids off of these processors to obtain better temps. My question is...if the CPU lid is taken off how does it connect to the motherboard? I must be missing something here.

The 'lid' that is removed is merely the integrated heatsink (IHS), thereby exposing the processor core; The cooler can then be carefully mounted and directly connects with the core. The bottom part of the processor, where the contacts/pins connect remains untouched.

I might be off on the technical names, but a processor basically consists of a chip and metal-lid-covering (on top) on a small printed circuit board with pins on the opposite side (on bottom). (Pins are now replaced by flat metal spots)

the brushed metal looking lid is basically a built in pretty good heatsink that also protects the chip. De lidding processors usually opens up a lot of risk and not that much benefit. but allows for a good heatsink to get past the slight thermal bottleneck of the lid.

I've been outta the loop way too long. Delidding?
Used to be all folks did was "lap the cpu" some.

When the IHS is soldered to the chip, lapping is the way to go, but on these latest chips from Intel they use a poor excuse of a paste between the core and the IHS; some people have reported ~20c drop in temps by removing the lid. These results are not typical, but there's a thread on [H] that shows some impressive results.

So i just picked up a 4770k. I don't even know if it's a bad chip, average chip, or good chip. I do know there are major heat problems with these processors. I'll be using my Phanteks cooler which i still don't think will be enough to get around 4.5ghz which is my goal.
Now i've heard (and watched videos) of people taking the lids off of these processors to obtain better temps. My question is...if the CPU lid is taken off how does it connect to the motherboard? I must be missing something here.

SonDa5 and me have explained this topic to death many times, but I took the time to point you to his latest thread since you are using Haswell...Go here, read everything twice, then once more, and if you still have any questions either post back or PM me or him!:p..

I'm not trying to come off as an ahole OP, but we have beaten this horse to death..I will leave you with this..If you are going to take the de-lidding plunge, PLEASE invest in some Cool-it Liquid Pro..It is by far the best TIM you can use with a de-lidded CPU to get the best temperatures, and worth EVERY penny..Once syringe of it is enough to do 5-6 CPU's easy..

Thank you for all the answers guys. I watched some videos on it, seems pretty simple, just takes some time to get it off. I'll try the Cool-It liquid stuff you're talking about if i decide that the temps are too high after my first attemps at overclocking these ridiculously hot Haswell CPU's. A 20 deg. drop would be amazing. I doubt i'd get those kinds of results but i should've done some more research first and just stuck with my 2600k. That thing ran at 4.9ghz all day every day on a Phanteks cooler. Oh well. Time to build a living room computer...

Back