Help me understand a FiiO setup

rflcptr

Supreme [H]ardness
I get that both the E17 and E9K are each headphone amplifiers (and with tradeoffs), but what benefit is there to the docking of the former to latter? Charging only?

Thanks. :)

the E17 is a portable DAC and amp.
the E9K is a desktop amp only (more powerful, better sound)

when you dock them it uses only the DAC from the E17 but the amp from the E9K

I own the E9 and a E07K

it is pretty good.... however i have had issues with my E9 most seriously last week the 1/4" headphone jack shaft split and a large piece broke off...OOOOPS..... I took the front face plate off (you have to break glue holding volume knob) and managed to successfully glue the broken piece back in place. (my E9 was a refurb and as such out of warranty ....i had had it 8mos~ when the headphone jack broke.)

the other issues with the E9 scratchy/noisy volume pot and volume knob was rubbing aluminum front panel when i got it.

took front face off and used some deoxit on the volume pot and put some washers between knob and face plate so far this has solved the noisy vol pot and scraping issues.

the E07K i just got for xmas..and it has been fine (so far)

however if you don't need a portable amp if i was doing this again I know I would be getting the Schiit Magni / Modi ($99each) usb dac / headphone amp..... instead of the FiiO stuff I have now.

to it's credit when it isn't breaking the E9 seems like a fine headphone amp and the E07K has been quite nice.... it is much cheaper than the E17 ($89~ for the E07K and $135~ some for the E17 so you might want to look at the E07K and see if it meets your requirements if you decide to go the FiiO route.

Back