Help me squeeze every last drop out of my older PC.

The system in my signature is becoming a bit long in the tooth and I've decided to finally migrate from XP to Vista 64-bit for good. I don't really want to scrap the entire machine now since I don't game on it all that much; I just want to give it a little extra pep getting around Windows.

1) The RAM I'm using is some old Corsair Value PC3200 I picked up years ago that isn't only running at 333 mhz. The system will not overclock at all, not even 50 mhz or so. Right now, with one IE window and Windows Media Player up, I have a whopping 24MB out of the 2GB free. I need more RAM. Should I try to find a 2x2GB kit or get 4x1GB modules?

2) Is a 4800+ adequate for doing simple gaming like WoW in Vista? Processor usage on each core is around 65% with just the couple things above running. It seems like I don't have nearly enough CPU power to do even the simplest things besides browsing my desktop.

3) I'd like a small graphics upgrade. Would I be better off looking for a 7xxx series AGP card or getting a PCIe board and something like an 8600?

- Well what's your budget for this upgrade?
- Also what apps are running in the background to cause 65% usage on both cores and close to 2GB RAM? How many processes are running? You're not using Norton are you? Post a screenshot of your task manager so that we can help you trim things down.

You may not even need to get 4GB of RAM since all you need to do is some cleaning.

2x2g sticks and x2 4800 should be fine for WoW gaming. ati 1950 pro gpu but i suggest what danny said. When was last time u defrag or did fresh install of xp.

2x2g sticks and x2 4800 should be fine for WoW gaming. ati 1950 pro gpu but i suggest what danny said. When was last time u defrag or did fresh install of xp.

I did a completely fresh install of Vista with a format tonight. The system seems to have calmed down quite a bit since my first post, but WoW keeps crashing with what looks like memory errors. This happened on XP (though less). I'm looking into a complete overhaul now.

I would invest a new motherboard, that should even help with your ram issues. Ive never used vista but it sounds like you got some other problem then just not enough ram. Using 2000mb of ram for 2 processes is unnatural. If your looking for a complete overhaul no point in putting that old 337mhz ram in that fresh mobo.

Fresh install of Vista means it's indexing and self-updating and similar crap. Give it a day or two to get 'normal'. Then run Memtest86 for 24 hours on each stick of RAM. If they're good buy another couple GB of second-hand PC3200 and a X1950 Pro and call it a day. If even one is bad trash both, buy a new PCI-Express board, some DDR2-800 or something, the aforementioned X1950 in PCIe form, and again, call it a day.

This is all assuming a socket AM2 processor. If it isn't, save up and just build anew, because a $75 E2xxx series chip OC'd is going to be faster than your current.

You don't need and entire overhaul. I'm still rockin the second dual-core that ever came out on the market, and is just find for even higher end games like bioshock. A64 X2 4800+ should by far blow the A64 X2 3800+ out the water. I would just buy a new motherboard and some new ram and a graphics card and you would have one decent system there. A couple of suggestions, MSI K8n NEO-4 $74.99, G.skill 2x 1GB DDR 400 memory $99.99, and EVGA 8800gts 320MB $294.99. That would equal one decent system for a while longer, you could also wait for the 9800 series graphics cards. I'll still be rockin my main rig in my sig. I don't really plan to upgrade soon either.

I agree, you shouldn't need a new setup unless parts are bad. Do what Silent-Circuit mentioned and run memtest.

I ran memtest overnight for about seven hours or so, no errors. I'm going to try to format and use XP then see what that comes up with. It is a socket 939 AGP system. Ram is 4x512MB which is why it's not running at 400 mhz.

Run Orthose or Prime95 Small FFTs test to see if your CPU is the problem.

Run/Loop 3DMark to see if your vidcard is the problem.

Unfortunately, I don't know of a good way to test the mobo other than swapping out parts.

Also, DL and run a diagnostic tool for your HDD. Drive Fitness Test is popular. Your drive manufacturer's website should have some tools as well.

Back