Help me spend my gift card

MacLeod

[H]F Junkie
Alrighty, so I got a $70 Best Buy gift card for my b-day and am trying to decide how to spend it.

I thought about getting a GPU like the 5770 but theyre $200 at BB and thats just ridiculous even with a gift card, same with the processors. So the next thing on my upgrade wish list is a PSU and Best Buy's are only $10 more than on the Egg so Im thinking of pulling the trigger on one of those. But Im also thinking that my PC Power 500 is enough for now and for future upgrades so I should just buy a Blu-Ray player for my modest home theater instead. Lastly, I could just spend it on a couple games.

First and most obvious choice would be the Corsair TX650W for $100.

But I like Antec stuff and this Earthwatts 650 for $100 is kinda interesting.

To save a few bucks I could go with the Thermaltake 600 watt for $85 but Im not sure about it. I know the new Toughpower line is pretty solid but not sure about this one.

Thought about pushing my budget and getting the Corsair TX750W but Im not really sure Ill ever need that big a PSU.

My planned upgrades will be at most a 5850 for a video card but more likely a GTX460 or even a 5830 if they drop in price. A Phenom II X4 955 but more likely a Phenom II 945. Both GPU and CPU will have a healthy overclock on it. Ill probably end up with another 7200 RPM hard drive and a good aftermarket CPU cooler and thats about it.

So what do y'all think? One of these PSU's so I wont have to worry about it for future upgrades, Blu-Ray player for my HT or just spend it on games?

AMD Athlon II X3 435 @ 3.4 GHz (stock cooler)
Asrock A780GMH/128
Powercolor 4850 @ 650 / 1100
PC Power Silencer 500
Corsair 2x2 GB DDR2-800
WD Caviar Blue 320 GB
Antec 300 w/ 5 Scythe Slipstream 120 mm fans and 1 Antec 140mm fan
Sony Opticarc
Windows 7 64 Bit
Acer V22W 22" LCD @ 1680x1050 / Logitech G9 / Logitech K300 keyboard
If this is running "ok" for you, why the upgrade?

And if upgrading from PC P&C 500W (+12V@35A), go to at least 650W/750W (+12V@50A)/(+12V@60A).

Antec New True, Earthwatts, Corsair HX, TX

Out of those, the TX650 hands down, but I really don't think you need a new PSU altogether.

If this is running "ok" for you, why the upgrade?

Cause this is [H]! Its always a good time to upgrade! :D

I am running solid right now. Im able to max out everything but Crysis and I still get 40+ fps on that with a mix of high/medium settings. I would like a little more muscle though.

I really don't think you need a new PSU altogether.

You may be right and I was thinking the same thing. If I get a 5770 Ill actually be using LESS power than I am now! My CPU overclock is at stock voltage so according to the PSU calculators, I dont need anything bigger than 400 watts now. I guess I was just kinda wanting a little extra headroom.

buy games

I think you guys have talked me into it. Ive been waiting for Wolfenstein to drop into the $20 price range. Maybe I should just go get it.

why would anyone buy a second hand gift card? For all they know, you used it already...

why would anyone buy a second hand gift card? For all they know, you used it already...

I've sold quite a few on the bay.

To the OP: I'd get the blu-ray player if you don't have one.

Ehhh... I think by games, he meant good games...

I've been playing Wolfenstein since 1984 so I'll always buy these when they come out. I played the demo and thought it was pretty damp good actually. I prefer mindless shooters. ;)

Yes, Gift cards do sell well on the bay, even though you get reamed with fees. However, w/ Bing (although in its final days), I have gotten people to buy the card for more than was actually on it. I have sold $100 cards for $109.00.

Of course, fees would take care of any real profit, but I didn't really want anything from those stores, so it was fine.

it doesnt matter if the stuff on bestbuy is overpriced it was a free gift card so in reality he will only be spending about 30 - 40 bucks out of pocket. If i had to choose the corsair 650tx.

Corsair TX 650W. You can also list gift cards for sale on here for usually 95% of the value, and you'll lose a few bucks on shipping.

You could always spend it on ink.

Back