Help Me Select a Pair of Powerline Adapters

deadman_uk

[H]ard|Gawd
My PC is far from my router and I have been using a 5GHz USB adapter to get Wi-Fi. However, a recent Windows 10 update has caused the USB adapter to no longer function. The driver's aren't working so I am looking into powerline adapters. Can someone help me select a pair? I am in the UK and would likely be buying from Amazon UK.

I see there are 500Mbps, 1000Mbps and 1200Mbps. Which would I need? My internet is fibre optic, 80Mbps so the 500Mbps be enough? I won't need these to network as I only have 1 PC. I am not bothered if they are pass-through either (but if they are similar priced, this is a nice option). I also don't think I need more than one port, so what would the other ports be used for? What other features should I look for?

get the highest speed available as the quality of data transfer depends on how far the devices are and the wire etc.

get the highest speed available as the quality of data transfer depends on how far the devices are and the wire etc.

My top Internet speed is 80Mbps, even the slowest device is 500Mbps which is many times faster. Are you saying it's still worth getting the higher speed ones? Noting the price is double and triple the price of 500Mbps ones.

Just because the unit can do 500mbit does not mean your wiring will allow for it. I use a nice set of Netgear av500 kit and can pull about 8-9MB/s max which is well below. But they are consistent and 100% stable and a better option then wifi IMO.

Get any of them from the main brands, TP-Link, Netgear, etc. They all work the same.

But they are consistent and 100% stable and a better option then wifi IMO.

+1. I've been using Trendnet powerline adapters (TPL-406, and TPL-306's before that) for quite a while as an alternative to wifi. Not sure what my max throughput has been, but definitely faster than anything my broadband connection can do...

My top Internet speed is 80Mbps, even the slowest device is 500Mbps which is many times faster. Are you saying it's still worth getting the higher speed ones? Noting the price is double and triple the price of 500Mbps ones.

The way the adapters work, you may not get anything close to the maximum speed on your particular home wiring. I would buy the fastest reasonably priced adapters from one of the big brands and hope for the best.

I don't know man, my house wiring is a mess of new and old wiring and I still get full throughput. I even have a little tinned copper still active in some places.

Are you guys saying I won't be reaching my 80mb fibre optic speeds if I use these adapters? I currently get low 70mbps on wifi which is very acceptable to me. I can't tolerate a connection speed much lower than that. Please can you guys tell me what speed you get with your adapters on a speed test website? My wifi and via ethernet is almost exactly the same. I thought the Powerline adapter plugs into your router (and it's pair goes in the back of your PCs ethernet port) and just sends the Internet connection through the home wiring?

Are you guys saying I won't be reaching my 80mb fibre optic speeds if I use these adapters? I currently get low 70mbps on wifi which is very acceptable to me. I can't tolerate a connection speed much lower than that. Please can you guys tell me what speed you get with your adapters on a speed test website? My wifi and via ethernet is almost exactly the same. I thought the Powerline adapter plugs into your router (and it's pair goes in the back of your PCs ethernet port) and just sends the Internet connection through the home wiring?
Its going to depend on your house wiring. My 2 story 3BR Town House built in 1983 can get about 8-9MB/s. This would translate very close to 85-90MBit/s which is what your connection is at. Like others have said I would get some decent name brand from a brick and mortar store. Give it a shot and if it does not work take them back.

I also use a couple of old Trendnet power adapters and they run between 90-100mbps typically. Not a speed demon, but been using them for the last couple years without issue or thinking of them much, which is a good sign.

Keep in mind a lot of these adapters advertising 500mbps+ are using 100mb Ethernet ports, and since that's theoretical most top out at 50mbps in perfect conditions

Back