Help me see the pro's and con's of this tablet

titan97

Gawd
So my mother-in-law wants to get this tablet for each of my kids this Christmas. Our family currently has an iPad with Retina and the kids fight over who gets to use it. They mostly watch Netflix and Amazon Prime videos, with a few games on occasion. If pushed, they will also jump on an old iPhone 3 (or 4?), but they find the screen size too small and the resolution too coarse.

What do you think of the linked tablet and how well do you think it will fit the roles I've briefly shared?

I would probably steer clear, unless they're particularly young and guaranteed to break the tablets well before you replace them. If you think an old iPhone has a coarse resolution... well, 800x480 on a 7-inch screen isn't much better. That and it's from a no-name company, so support is guaranteed to be a nightmare; they'd be disposable.

I'd probably look at something like an ASUS MeMo Pad 7 (the newer one based on Intel chips, not last year's) or a Kindle Fire HD. There are also some kid-friendly tablets from LeapFrog and the like that aren't much better spec-wise than what you've mentioned, but are designed to be childproof.

It's a little cheaper at $59.99 through Walmart but based on the specs, reviews and questionable OS updates I'd probably avoid it unless if you can afford something better like the Nexus 7 2013 (about $130 used) or even 2012 (about $80) that still gets updates to latest Android 4.4.4. Btw, Amazon Prime Video isn't supported yet since Amazon is pushing their own Kindle tablets.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Double-Power-7-Tablet-8GB-Memory-Dual-Core-Bonus-Kit/29340913

Back